Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JKU Sport Plan for 35s

Old 12-01-2015, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a few of the 35s with little/no lift threads which was helpful. Thanks for the tip. My question becomes with the 2" BB and 35s, if I go to my local ORP and mess around on the easy/moderate trails, is there any concern with rubbing flares? Do I need flares (or trim job) before I do any offroad activity? Trim the pinch seam in the rear Remove air dam?
Old 12-01-2015, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Siggy
I found a few of the 35s with little/no lift threads which was helpful. Thanks for the tip. My question becomes with the 2" BB and 35s, if I go to my local ORP and mess around on the easy/moderate trails, is there any concern with rubbing flares? Do I need flares (or trim job) before I do any offroad activity? Trim the pinch seam in the rear Remove air dam?
I've built mine similar to what you're wanting. With a wife and kids, price is a factor for me. I've got 35/12.50/17 KO2s with a 2.5" BB. Didn't need to trim my rails or pinch seams. I've also got the Smittybilt oversized tire carrier. It does a great job. I've definitely wheeled mine (Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado), but it's also my daily driver. I average 18-20 mpg on the highway and 15-17 in town. I don't have a heavy foot, but I don't drive slowly, either. I've got 3.73 gears and I have no complaints about power. Here's the shocker... I've got the older 3.8. Still no complaints. It's all a matter of opinion. I'm in a couple of local Jeep clubs. I've been in newer Jeeps with the 3.6. I've been in Jeeps with 4.10s and 4.88s (don't think I've been in one with 4.56s or 5.13s). If you're looking at a newer one, I do t think you'll have any problem doing what you want to do. Some may chime in and say that it'll be a dog... That's their opinion. Good luck with your build ;-)
Old 12-01-2015, 12:59 PM
JK Junkie

For the price of everything you mentioned I would just get a teraflex 2.5" lift and call it a day. Great daily driver set up and body lift are awful looking and really crappy. I put a bl on my old jeep and it would creek and sway on the road
Old 12-01-2015, 01:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Greep
I've built mine similar to what you're wanting. With a wife and kids, price is a factor for me. I've got 35/12.50/17 KO2s with a 2.5" BB. Didn't need to trim my rails or pinch seams. I've also got the Smittybilt oversized tire carrier. It does a great job. I've definitely wheeled mine (Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado), but it's also my daily driver. I average 18-20 mpg on the highway and 15-17 in town. I don't have a heavy foot, but I don't drive slowly, either. I've got 3.73 gears and I have no complaints about power. Here's the shocker... I've got the older 3.8. Still no complaints. It's all a matter of opinion. I'm in a couple of local Jeep clubs. I've been in newer Jeeps with the 3.6. I've been in Jeeps with 4.10s and 4.88s (don't think I've been in one with 4.56s or 5.13s). If you're looking at a newer one, I do t think you'll have any problem doing what you want to do. Some may chime in and say that it'll be a dog... That's their opinion. Good luck with your build ;-)
Interesting indeed.

Is your jeep auto or stick?
Old 12-01-2015, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

I got some bfg ko2 33s coming in I'll throw a pic up on here once I get them on
Old 12-01-2015, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by webejeepin
Interesting indeed. Is your jeep auto or stick?
Surprisingly, it's an auto. With only 4 gears, I guess mine doesn't have to "hunt" as much as if I had 6...? I've heard both extremes... "I've got 35s with 5.13s and a supercharger on D60s! It's the best!" And "I've got 37s with stock gears and a D30 up front. I can out wheel anyone!" My wheeling trips are only 3 or 4 times a year, but when I go, I don't baby it. I've been really happy with it for four and a half years and 88,000 trouble free miles. If I could justify the cost, I'd love to have the new motor and 6 speed, but since I can't, I'm glad I'm happy with what I've been able to build.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red2010rubi
For the price of everything you mentioned I would just get a teraflex 2.5" lift and call it a day. Great daily driver set up and body lift are awful looking and really crappy. I put a bl on my old jeep and it would creek and sway on the road
I agree about the body lift... Not a fan. No function. But if you start with a budget boost (mine's a 2.5" puck lift) you can easily fit 35s. Mine has been great. I only paid 150 bucks for it and installed it myself. If it sucked, I wouldn't be out much $. ;-)
Old 12-01-2015, 02:16 PM
JK Junkie

I agree about the body lift... Not a fan. No function. But if you start with a budget boost (mine's a 2.5" puck lift) you can easily fit 35s. Mine has been great. I only paid 150 bucks for it and installed it myself. If it sucked, I wouldn't be out much $. ;-)
If you're on a tight budget I agree
Old 12-01-2015, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

So my new plan would be a 2" BB with shock extensions (or shocks) and I could drive off with the 35s. Follow up with tire carrier to carry the 35 on the tailgate. I thought for sure they would rub on even easy trails. If thats true I'll probably spring for the 35s.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Surprisingly, it's an auto. With only 4 gears, I guess mine doesn't have to "hunt" as much as if I had 6...? I've heard both extremes... "I've got 35s with 5.13s and a supercharger on D60s! It's the best!" And "I've got 37s with stock gears and a D30 up front. I can out wheel anyone!" My wheeling trips are only 3 or 4 times a year, but when I go, I don't baby it. I've been really happy with it for four and a half years and 88,000 trouble free miles. If I could justify the cost, I'd love to have the new motor and 6 speed, but since I can't, I'm glad I'm happy with what I've been able to build.
Thanks Greep very good information, sound positive for those of us with similar set ups

Quick Reply: JKU Sport Plan for 35s