Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JKU Rubi vs TF 2.5" coils

Old 05-12-2015, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TeraFlex 2.5" coils vs JKU Rubicon coils

Today on my 2007 JK I swapped out my JKU Rubi coils and 2 inch BB with the TF 2.5" coil lift. (I did not reuse the spacers on the TF coils). I was surprised that my ride height actually went down about 1 inch. I was hoping for at least the same amount of lift if not a little more.

The JKU Rubi coils (18/59s) measure 18.25" fronts and 14.5" rears. The TF 2.5" coils measure 18" fronts and 15.25" rears.

The TF coils do give a better ride.

Fronts
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2488.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	610457

Rears
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2491.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	610461

The nice shiny black coils are the Teraflex coils.

The TF coils DID level out some of the front end rake (Warn winch and steel bumper) compared to the JKU coils and BB.

I cannot remember how much room I had with the JKU coils and BB set up between bumpstops but now I am down to about 2 to 2.5" before the bumpstops contact. That seems like a bit less than what I would expect.

Now, I just need to order and install 1 inch spacers to get back to the ride height I originally had. I am thinking the 2" BB I just removed would be too much.

Jeeps... the never ending project...

Last edited by dan3jeeps; 05-13-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:11 PM
JK Junkie

What do yiu plan to do with the rubi coils?
Old 05-12-2015, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lift

That is a little discouraging. I have a Rubi with a Teraflex leveling kit(2" spacer up front and 1" spacer in back). I was also going to replace with a Teraflex 2.5 coil, but was afraid of that exact thing. Now I have to rethink my lift options.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

DunnyBunny,

Not sure yet.

Jonb1032,

Discouraging, I know. Three thoughts:

Get a 2.5" TF coil kit for a JKU instead of a JK. This theory works well with JKU Rubi coils on a JK. Not sure if TF offers it though.

Get a 3" TF kit instead of a 2.5" kit. Especially if you have heavy weight up front.

OR...! Go with JKU coils and a spacer! Seems to work well enough.

I was wanting to get away from the spacers. Guess I cannot w/o going to a 4" coil it seems.

The JKU Rubi coils are apparently taller and stronger than I originally thought. The 2.5" TF coils seem to compress more under the weight of the JK than my previously installed JKU Rubi coils did.

Last edited by dan3jeeps; 05-12-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: JKU Rubi vs TF 2.5" coils