Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jku regear

Old 03-22-2021, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jku regear

I'm a new guy here and fairly new to jeeps but been off road all my life, I'm very handy with a wrench, I do 90% of all the jeep work with that said I'm having it regeard to 4.88s well I ordered yukons and now I'm hearing and reading that they are noisy? Or is it just a hit and miss type thing or send em back and get a different brand?
Old 03-22-2021, 10:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Yukon is a solid brand. I have had a few sets and wouldn't hesitate to buy more Yukon products. I can't say I recall anyone complaining. I'd think any noise with any gearing is going to be quality of install.
The following users liked this post:
Sour Apple (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Yukon is a solid brand. I have had a few sets and wouldn't hesitate to buy more Yukon products. I can't say I recall anyone complaining. I'd think any noise with any gearing is going to be quality of install.

Alsoseem like most everything I read boit noise was 10yr old post , I'm hoping maybe they had made changes over the yrs. What's really got me concerned is the local 4 wheel parts is the one that brought it to my attention and you would think they are installing them correct
Old 03-22-2021, 10:29 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Do that 4wd shop sell a different brand?
just asking because I’ve heard people at different shops talking bad about brands they don’t sell to try to make a sale of their parts, hopefully they aren’t, but you never know, set up right, they shouldn’t be noisy,
The following users liked this post:
Sour Apple (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Also it prob don't matter but the jk isn't your mall crawler jk , but I have to keep it a good daily for the wife to run around in , she loves it and will kill me if I screw up the way it drives , and I don't wanna hear the whinning, I have 37 13.50s that will drown out most sounds , I'm just nervous now cause I like to do things once and really don't have ex funds to do it a 2nd time. I would like to hear as many 1st hand experiences as possible, my gears should show up today or tomorrow with lockers to b installed this weekend. Thanks for the help In advance
Old 03-22-2021, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=Dat;4378252]Do that 4wd shop sell a different brand?
just asking because I’ve heard people at different shops talking bad about brands they don’t sell to try to make a sale of their parts, hopefully they aren’t, but you never know, set up right, they shouldn’t be noisy,[/QUOTE

YesbtheYes they do sell yukon everything, but they could get more "kick back" or sumthin from another company idk about that part tho
I bought everything from Northridge they bout get all my business really
Old 03-22-2021, 11:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by Sour Apple
I bought everything from Northridge they bout get all my business really
So it's a little late now, but almost all of us would suggest it is best to let whoever is doing the install supply the parts as well. That way, if something goes wrong there isn't any pointing fingers about it being parts you supplied vs. the labor they provided. It is amazing how fast the finger-pointing begins when problems arise. A lot of times the labor warranty will be limited when customers supply the parts.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you're handy with a wrench and you've got some time then you can do it yourself. I did my own gears and I've got probably 7k miles or so on them now. They're Yukon supplied by Northridge and I purchased them in September timeframe. Take your time, buy the right tools, take your time.

But I've got to agree- if I was having someone else do it (shop wise), I'd have them supply the parts so there's no liability on me.

Quick Reply: Jku regear