Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JKU Full-Time 4WD (AWD) NP242J

Old 12-27-2020, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool JKU Full-Time 4WD (AWD) NP242J

So, I know this issue has been brought up before, but I didn't want to resurrect a really old thread. I have done a little research into this topic and I know it has been done and documented on this forum so it is possible. Please note that I'm not building a rock-crawler so I'm not interested by comments about the strongest transfer case or why you don't personally like AWD. The NP242 compared to the NP241 just adds one important function, a Full-Time 4WD position which simply uses a differential gear inside the transfer case so the vehicle can be operated on hard pavement and allow for different axle speeds front and rear so things don't get broken. Also, we live in Texas so we don't get a lot of snow and its pretty much flat but when the weather is bad, I would like the added security of AWD for my wife while she is commuting. I know it has been suggested that running in AWD will cause extra wear and decreased fuel efficiency, but I cannot see how it will make a noticeable difference. I don't have locking hubs on the front axle, so if the jeep is moving in 2WD, the front diff is turning the ring gear, which turns the pinion and driveshaft, which turns the chain in the transfer case. The only difference I can see is there is no power being transferred to the front axle, all the parts are turning, they're just disconnected in the T-case. Also, the thought of the ring gear turning the pinion all the time frustrates me. What's yall's take?
Old 12-27-2020, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I have thought of that with the now V8 in mine as it will break the wheels away at the lights in dry if I push the throttle too quick. Also in the snow here it would be like most AWD SUV's but right now I have JScan Trailview, for rear diff, or simply pull the lever as I modded the cable attachment at the case so it never comes off until I undo the lock nut.
Here's a thought - no one ever drove off the road going too slow. Which gives time to engage 4WD which is still not a passport to drive fast in slippery conditions. What I an trying to say is all the hassle, possible fault codes from sensors not seeing the right conditions and expense may not be worth it.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for your response, your example for the V8 is spot on but I definitely don't have that problem with the 3.8 but I have with other vehicles. I've owned many front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive cars and being able to put power to all the tires just makes a huge difference in maneuverability. And besides, all the stuff in the front axle and drive shaft is turning anyway why not use it for propulsion rather than drag? Additionally, if you're already in full-time four-wheel drive it's an easy click to lock the transfer case differential and now you're in part-time.

As far as possible trouble codes I really don't see the difference if you're in all-wheel drive the ABS module just looks at the speed of each wheel which will be unchanged for all it knows you're just in 2HI.

Quick Reply: JKU Full-Time 4WD (AWD) NP242J