Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JKU - 3.6L - The overheating issue - solved for me

Old 08-22-2024, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JKU - 3.6L - The overheating issue - solved for me

My mechanic replaced my thermostat, and my jeep was overheating again, but like a year ago, it only overheats when I go past 3000 RPM. For me, I'm thankful it never overheated while sitting in traffic.

I called the mechanic and explained this, and their answer was, well if the AC still works, you're not overheating sitting in traffic and it's not going past 3/4, then you're fine. Jeeps just overheat when pushed and especially in our Phoenix summer.

Yes, my Wrangler did overheat before all this, but I was going uphill on this gnarly off-road trail and it was 115deg. Out. So that sure I get it.

But on the hwy, driving around 70-80 MPH? Nope.

I ended up learning how to replace my thermostat and burp the system and you know it's not hard. Just gotta read up and YouTube up.

The MOPAR thermostat did not change anything.

I found this radiator cap, and suddenly everything works perfectly. My old one did not leak and was not very old.

All the best.

MotoRad ST18 Radiator Cap - Jeep Wrangler (97-17) Grand Cherokee (93-21) Patriot (11-17) Compass (12-17) Liberty (02-13) Wrangler JK (18), Dodge Charger (06-23) Journey (09-20) Durango (00-21) https://a.co/d/gTsPPLA
Old 08-23-2024, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 401 Likes on 376 Posts

Welcome to JK Forum. Good to read you resolved your issue. Yes the Rad Cap with the correct Pressure for the Jeep many times works. Good you read up and youtubed up on the DIY Work.
Old 08-30-2024, 11:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea, sources of overheating can be air in the system, low coolant, clogged system, corrosion in the radiator core, road crud clogging up the radiator fins, a bad radiator cap not creating proper pressure, a bad thermostat, the wrong coolant, a pressure leak, etc.

Mixing different coolants causes a sludge to form sometimes & that can be a bear to clean out. I miss the days when green glycol was the only game in town & you just had to make sure that the water mix was right. Don't mix different coolants. If you don't know what you have, just add a little water to get you home then empty the system, flush with water & start with new as soon as you can.

The 3.6L V-6 is a little unusual in that the thermostat housing generally gets changed with the thermostat every time. The stock housing is plastic. For a few dollars more, you can get an aluminum one that is less likely to get damaged when you work the bleed screw. These motors are NOT self bleeding.

There's an error code that often gets thrown when you have air in the system. I don't remember the number off the top of my head, but the description is something about engine temperature being erratic or something like that.

I remember Glendale pretty well. It gets HOT there sometimes. I've seen cabin temperatures go up to 180F from leaving my car sitting in the parking lot at Cabellas in Glendale for about an hour. That's a temperature that I've seen on oven dials.

The valley of the sun is a good place to have your AC tuned up 100%. I used to use a shop called AAPAK, that was on Grand Ave, near the fairgrounds. It was a good shop. There was a good radiator shop in the area too, but I don't remember the name.

Going uphill on I-17 in heavy traffic for an hour straight with the AC on can make even a new car overheat sometimes. The only cure for that is getting an oversized radiator or adding some other form of additional cooling.

The last time I overheated at highway speeds, it was in Phoenix & I needed a new radiator. Sometimes flushing the system with a little acid will rejuvenate an older radiator, but that treatment carries some risks.

Last edited by JimWPB; 08-30-2024 at 11:47 PM.

Quick Reply: JKU - 3.6L - The overheating issue - solved for me