Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jku 08 pulling left and wanders

Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jku 08 pulling left and wanders

I need some input to a problem that I can't seem to resolve.
I have an 08 JKU that is pulling left and feels like it wants to wander a bit. The steering wheel is centered and the JK will start pulling left. I have to turn the wheel right to straighten it out while driving. Once I get it straight, the JK and the steering wheel, it wants to wander a tiny bit right then back left again.

This is what I have tried so far...
Wheel is centered.
Tire pressures are exact and played with it at 28 psi to 32 psi.
Everything is tight and doesn't seem to have any play in the front.
I switched tires from left to right. Switched from my TOYOs to KM2s. No change.

Keep in mind that everything was perfect until about a month ago and no changes have been made to cause the pull. The only change was swapping my tires, but the problem was there before the tire change.

I did notice today that the steering box is leaking fluid and for 4 years have had a clunk in the steering that no one could actually find nor fix.

I have an appointment with the dealer Thursday to replace the steering box. Can the steering box cause the pull?

Any help or experience would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How's the steering stabilizer? Is it in good shape? Has it tweaked over at all?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Is there play in the steering wheel? Also, what steering stabilizer are you using? Some gas charged units are known to pull one way or the other. Also, the Toyos are known to pull to the left a little.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

The steering stabilizer seems to be ok overall, but I can't tell. It has no signs of impact or movement from where it was installed. It is a Rancho stabilizer and it is about 3 years old/35k on it.

The tires currently are my KM2s. The TOYOs were on it recently but the pull actually seemed worse after I put the KM2s back on, but with tire pressure it seems a bit better.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

How tall of a lift are you running? What are you using for caster correction? When was the last time you had an alignment?

Wandering could be poor or shallow caster, or worn TRE's, ball joints, etc. Pulling one way or the other could be improper toe.

Just some suggestions...
Old 02-13-2013, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check the toe I had this problem where I thought my steering wheel was not centered but the tow was off by a degree on the right side which who knew it could make a noticeable difference.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Also noticed you said your steering box is leaking... Any play in the sector shaft?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JKred
Also noticed you said your steering box is leaking... Any play in the sector shaft?
I was wondering this too.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I was wondering this too.
I took it to the dealer and of course my extended maxcare warranty does not cover the stupid steering gear box. The good news is that they did confirm that the box was definately the problem. The play in the sector was enough to cause the strange steering response and wander and the leak was worse than I thought! The good news is that I found a reman box at Autozone with a lifetime warranty. I just installed it and whoooaaaa the steering is perfect! No more major clunk or wander and it feels tight again! As Ferris Bueller once said... I highly recommend getting one! So choice! lol

The new box is from duralast I think and the warranty should get me through again till it happens again. I could not tell if it was the Chinese unit or not.

Thank you guys for your help and comments! It helped me point out other things that I didn't originally think about. Funny how I can diagnose issues on other vehicles, but can't on my own!!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by devildogchoppers

I took it to the dealer and of course my extended maxcare warranty does not cover the stupid steering gear box. The good news is that they did confirm that the box was definately the problem. The play in the sector was enough to cause the strange steering response and wander and the leak was worse than I thought! The good news is that I found a reman box at Autozone with a lifetime warranty. I just installed it and whoooaaaa the steering is perfect! No more major clunk or wander and it feels tight again! As Ferris Bueller once said... I highly recommend getting one! So choice! lol

The new box is from duralast I think and the warranty should get me through again till it happens again. I could not tell if it was the Chinese unit or not.

Thank you guys for your help and comments! It helped me point out other things that I didn't originally think about. Funny how I can diagnose issues on other vehicles, but can't on my own!!!!
Good to hear you got it fixed.

Quick Reply: Jku 08 pulling left and wanders