Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JKS & Teraflex Control Arms - Flex Arms

Old 05-20-2010, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Really? I didn't see you at that meeting. TeraFlex got a away from this design of control arms because of failure rates with this style of arm. A control arm that is always shortening and lengthening itself as it's rotating (due to flex) will either seize up from grit that has gotten work in or strip the threads. Can you rebuild that center pivot point on those arms, the actual thread portion or do you have to replace that half of the arm? With TeraFlex control arms you can rebuild/replace the clevite bushing or the flexjoint.

TeraFlex #1653700 retail price is $339.99
JKS #6150 retail price is $450.00
$110.01 differance in price.

Did you read the Maintenance Section for the JKS arms? "Control arms should be greased regularly as part of the vehicle maintenance schedule." Doesn't sound any less maintenance over a set of TeraFlex control arms.

I bet that TeraFlex can offer a set of arms with a clevite style bushing on both ends for less than the current TF JK lower short arms #1653700.
Items built in China are always cheaper than items built in our great Republic called the USA! Teraflex got away from their original style arm because they did not have a very good design to begin with which has been noted in this thread already and agreed upon.

JKS design shares nothing in common with Teraflex original design other than it will twist while you drive. If you know about seizing up then you are speaking from past experience of Teraflex design not JKS..... I challenge you to find one person that has ever had one JKS arm seize up. You can’t really compare JKS arms to Teraflex arms or anyone else’s for that matter. JKS arms are NOT rebuildable because there is no NEED to rebuild them. They have been building this same design without failures since 1998. The fact is, they don’t have rebuild kits nor do they offer rebuild components because there is NO NEED to rebuild their arms.

Last edited by Lotus03; 05-20-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

I ordered lower front JKS from Dave, I just liked the design, and thought the extra cost would be worth it. What sold me was the rubber bushing at each end which may make my ride a tad better. Must be my age .

I think TeraFlex, JKS and others build great products. I havn't bought anything for my JK yet that's I've said I would not have done it a second time.

Now how do I install Lower front control arms easily without taking the springs out, etc?

I see no write-ups.

I must be over thinking this, since I've done all kinds of things to my Jeep, including the OR-FAB tire carrier that you drill though the body .
Old 06-13-2010, 09:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Foo
I ordered lower front JKS from Dave, I just liked the design, and thought the extra cost would be worth it. What sold me was the rubber bushing at each end which may make my ride a tad better. Must be my age .

I think TeraFlex, JKS and others build great products. I havn't bought anything for my JK yet that's I've said I would not have done it a second time.

Now how do I install Lower front control arms easily without taking the springs out, etc?

I see no write-ups.

I must be over thinking this, since I've done all kinds of things to my Jeep, including the OR-FAB tire carrier that you drill though the body .
You can do it with the jeep on the ground, remove one stock arm, replace with new one. Repeat other side. Put a jack under the pumkin to help move the axle for adjusting to get your holes lined up for the adjusted arm. Rachet strap on the axle to frame can help with this aswell.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

I have the JKS lowers installed, and it turned out to be easy!

They are truly heavy duty, and I doubt anything I do could ever destroy them.

Now the strange news. The JKS rub my tire tread lugs when I turn my wheels to lock. I have lost some turn radius for going into a parking spaces, garage, etc. and enough that I have noticed it everyday so far. I'm sure I'll get use to it.

I'm not sure if it's the design, and by that I mean the angle the lowers go in at from the body, or if my backspacing tire combo is just to much inside. (35x12.50 Goodyear Kevlar MTRs and procomp 8128 17x8.5 4.75 BS).

I'll never know if another brand would have been better for rubbing, and the funny thing is I never thought of that as even a possibility.

Oh well, not everything in my build can fit perfect I guess.

Do I like them anyway? Yes!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Foo
I have the JKS lowers installed, and it turned out to be easy!

They are truly heavy duty, and I doubt anything I do could ever destroy them.

Now the strange news. The JKS rub my tire tread lugs when I turn my wheels to lock. I have lost some turn radius for going into a parking spaces, garage, etc. and enough that I have noticed it everyday so far. I'm sure I'll get use to it.

I'm not sure if it's the design, and by that I mean the angle the lowers go in at from the body, or if my backspacing tire combo is just to much inside. (35x12.50 Goodyear Kevlar MTRs and procomp 8128 17x8.5 4.75 BS).

I'll never know if another brand would have been better for rubbing, and the funny thing is I never thought of that as even a possibility.

Oh well, not everything in my build can fit perfect I guess.

Do I like them anyway? Yes!
Do you have this problem resolved yet. I have same tires and backspacing and am considerung the JKS arms. but if they rub, I will go for other brands.

thanks.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

Nope. No known solution, and I'm not getting spacers, otherwise why did I get the new rims? They just rub. I wish I knew if Tera-flex would rub or not. I love their stuff.

The JKS are beefy, but I still rub even after a week, I need to rub at times for that extra 6 inch turning radius. Tight parking spaces, etc.

For now I consign myself to a dually extended cab type of driving.

Sigh..

Last edited by Foo; 07-02-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Foo, this will make my purchase dicision easier.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have the jks front lowers installed with my 2.5" TF coil lift with 35's and they are great. No rubbing at all.

Quick Reply: JKS & Teraflex Control Arms - Flex Arms