Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JKS Sway Bar Disconnects

Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JKS Sway Bar Disconnects

OK first let me say that I have read the write up and think its great but I do have some questions... bear with me, i am new at this sort of thing.........

1. How do you know if you have it within the +/-5 degree tolerance and what is the best setting to have?

2. It says in the write up to use the way bar discon to take out the click pin them remove the links altogether(so does this mean everytime you use them its like uninstalling then reinstalling them? ... and will this eventually make it to where the threads of everything arent sticking good and eventually wear them out if you disconnected lets say once a week

3. Lastly will this effect the powertrain warranty.... I know that its so simple of a mod you could just return it to factory settings if you have problem before taking it to the dealer, am i right or would it void it.... maybe they would see it when i went in to change oil or something and document it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:13 PM
JK Freak

Thought I would add if someone could post some pictures of the proper way to take off(location of disconnects and sway bar) to get ready to go on the trail that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N2rock
No pictures needed, it is very simple

Start on level ground
Turn steering wheel to far right
Reach in and pull both pins from the passenger side disco, slide the link off it's mounts
Turn steering wheel to far left
Reach in and pull both pins from the drivers side disco, slide the link of it's mounts
Store the mounts and pins in your rig - I know the instructions say to put the pins back in place so you don't lose them. But that makes me nervous as I could just see a branch or weeds or something snag on them and pull them out. Then they would be lost and you would be screwed.

Now strap the swaybar into a level/neutral position. Here's a picture of mine using heavy duty wire ties

I'm going to need to figure out some other way to do that though because I continuously break those wire ties when I'm wheeling. I have to periodically check them thru the day, and keep adding new wire ties. It is quite annoying. So I need to find some sort of strap to take the place of the wire ties.

To reinstall- just reverse the directions
I zip tie the other side and just put it (14" zip tie) around the frame. No problem with them ever breaking. Maybe going through that hole puts too many sharp bends on the plastic?

Sometimes I have had to give them a little smack with a hammer to get them off in uneven terrain, but that may be because of all the magnesium chloride they spray on the roads around here.

I've also had to use a ratcheting tie down strap to get the sway bar up that extra 1/2" when I put the driver's side link on first.

Here are some links that may help:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ks+disconnects
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=jks+discos
Old 02-24-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Freak

yah, the front is easy. You just pop the pins out ... my passanger i have to whack it with a wrench ... but thats about it .... just zip tie em up to the frame while your wheeling.

When your done, pop them back on the bolts and pop the pins back in.

The rear is different .... you have to unscrew the nuts and take the boltsout. You can disconnect from top or bottom. I am just gonnatake em off compeltely next time.

The only reason to do this is to allow for more articulation/travel. I got plently when my JK was stock ...... except for my wheels leaving the ground. Its nice, now they don't!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:06 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for all the replies.

When you say rear sway bars does this mean the JKS just comes with the front quick disconnects? As It appears this in the write up.

Yeah I am confused on a bit, this thread has helped alot though.

Thanks Again,
Derek
Old 02-25-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Super Freak

I was under the impression the jk rear swaybar does not need to be disconnected and the jks disconnects are just for the front.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Yeah - the JKS front sway bar disco's are for the front...all they do is replace the 6" long stock link, that drops from the end of the sway bar down to the axle.

The way you tell the angle is to put a level with degrees on it before you start (Like a $5 home depot magnetic mount angle gauge. ) - when done, its w/in 5 degrees still)

The new link also has to remove the oem link mounts with easy on/off pins...and a set of snap rings...think cotter pins you don't need pliers for, they have a big ring to grab on their end...grab the ring, flip it to release the pin, and pull the ring/pin out...very easy.

So - its as if you had the stock links, but, to remove them, all you'd have to do is pull a pin holding the top/bottom bushings on...and slide the link of its pins...so....

....You end up with no link between the sway bar and the axle...its disco'd.

You put the snap rings and links (Disco's) in the truck, and go have fun...

When ready to hit the road again...slip the disco links back over the mounting pins, snap it the snap pins to hold them, and go back onto the paved world, etc.

For the rear swar bar, which is much thinner/more flexible to start with, .....most people get longer rear swaybar extensions (longer link that drop from the bar down to the axle).

So - to repalce the stock 6" bolted on links that go from the end of the sway bar, down to the axle:

Stock sway bar links

so - replace the stock mount for the links with these things (one bolt/nut each)....the disco's link bushing hole just slides over this new mount pin.

When all done...it looks like this...

See the rings...just pull them like grenade pins...and then grab the link, and pull it off off those ne mounting pins....done.

Last edited by TEEJ; 02-25-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Just wanted to thank everyone for the posts, they where all very helpful.

Cool pics TeeJ................ cleared it up 100% I am going to order the JKS discons today

Quick Reply: JKS Sway Bar Disconnects