Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JKS Sector Shaft Reinforcement Kit Anybody?

Old 12-08-2011, 02:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sneck
thanks for being a guinea pig!
sure, just put me on the little treadmill like a hamster...
Old 12-08-2011, 04:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKred
If it doesn't fit I could always try with my FT trackbar .... Or just by the rocksolid TB
Mike, it if doesn't I guess we could do that with yours.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 AM
JK Junkie

I feel like basically its either the whole JKS kit or the whole Rocksolid kit are what's gonna work instead of piecing things together.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by fadeout
I feel like basically its either the whole JKS kit or the whole Rocksolid kit are what's gonna work instead of piecing things together.
When I had my TF lift kit put on, the shop that did it also put on TF track bar. I have heard that the TF is a really good one so I am hesitant to replace it, but it seems from your discussion like I might be shit out of luck on getting a SSB at all.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:54 AM
JK Super Freak

any opinions on the rock solid TB? just mulling that since I have the SSB coming already, maybe it's short money to replace the TF with a RS and then just sell the TF. what do you guys think? keep TF or replace with RS? is the SSB adding enough value to the rig?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Navyvetnorwich91
any opinions on the rock solid TB? just mulling that since I have the SSB coming already, maybe it's short money to replace the TF with a RS and then just sell the TF. what do you guys think? keep TF or replace with RS? is the SSB adding enough value to the rig?
I was looking at that as well but it is thin wall tubing. My Superlift was beefier than that and it bent every time that I played in the rocks. Steering wheel was cocked 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Got real old having to adjust it after every run. Running a Terraflex Monster bar and it held up to the rocks very well. Gonna go the JKS brace and TB.

Mike
Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

A concern that I have with the RSP solution is that there doesn't appear to be any way to adjust the bearing alignment to the sector shaft. That is left and right and front to back. It indexes off the track bar bolt and the track bar bracket. There has to be a lot of production variation in the stock frame track bar bracket-frame assembly. If there is no way to accommodate the range of variation you will end up putting a lot of side load on the box sector shaft bearing and that is the last thing it needs. I think that post #55 illustrates that very nicely. I really want a solution like this, but I don't think that this one is quite there yet.

Anybody have thoughts on my concern?

Mike
Old 12-14-2011, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Default JKS Sector Shaft Brace.

I just got a first hand look at the JKS sector shaft brace parts. I was surprised that the the sector shaft nut/extension that comes with it is a slip fit into the spherical bearing bore. I asked JKS if this was intended. The response was yes, the nut extension spins in the bore of the bearing and the bearing does not turn.

This means that the bearing is only there to insure tilt alignment on the shaft. To me it doesn't feel right to have steel on steel rotational interface like this. Even though the rotation is limited and slow there is high side loading and I would think that there would be a lot of wear. Anybody have any real knowledge whether this is an reasonable method of implementing a bearing? Am I over thinking this?

Maybe locktite thread locker on the bore of the bearing to lock it to the shaft and insure that the bearing rotates. Or just grease the bore and hope that it doesn't wear.

The spherical bearing has what looks like a hard fabric between the ball and outer race.

Mike

Last edited by Deepwater; 12-14-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
JKS makes three different products that make one kit

check these out.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...rod=JKS-OGS164

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...rod=JKS-OGS165

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...rod=JKS-OGS163

and then the kit

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...=JKS-OGS166KIT

I have one of these on our 4 door and i havent had any issues.

David
I just looked at my 2009 JKU w. 3.5" RC lift and a RC adj. front track bar and wonder if your kit will fit, because the track bar came bent into a "curve", not straight. The distance between the upper edge of the track bar and the bottom of the steering box nut is about 0.5". Will that work? I could take some pics. Thanks :-)
Old 04-10-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by eumel789

I just looked at my 2009 JKU w. 3.5" RC lift and a RC adj. front track bar and wonder if your kit will fit, because the track bar came bent into a "curve", not straight. The distance between the upper edge of the track bar and the bottom of the steering box nut is about 0.5". Will that work? I could take some pics. Thanks :-)
I am looking at the 4 inch kit and could use an answer to this too.

Quick Reply: JKS Sector Shaft Reinforcement Kit Anybody?