Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JKS Sector Shaft Reinforcement Kit Anybody?

Old 11-14-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does this kit do? What is it preventing?
Old 11-15-2011, 12:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

inside the steering box it is one bearing, being that there is only ons lets the shaft side load, resulting in premature faliure of the shaft. If this takes place you will have to replace the steering box, this kit adds another bearing on the bottom side of the shaft making it more stable and adding a little bit of insurance, go on jks website, it explains it in detail with sketches
Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smeede
I have been having problems with my steering wheel being off a few deg's left or right after wheeling in the rocks. I adj the drag link to get it back to cntr but not sure why this keeps happening. Has anyone else had this problem? Wondering if the the Sector shaft reinforcement bracket will help this Running stock Rucicon 2dr with 1.5 BB.
Most likely it is your trackbar bending, especially if it is an aftermarket one. My Superlift TB was bending after every rock run. They bend at the whoop that clears the differential. I went to a Teraflex Monster bar. Stopped that problem. I have serious doubts about the strength of any DOM TB for playing in the rocks.

Mike
Old 11-16-2011, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fadeout
So I spent about 15 minutes on the phone with a JKS tech today talking about upgrading to the rest of this kit and clearance issues. It will work with the Currie flip kit and with the 3rd Gen JKS trackbar as long as you have more than 3inches of lift any less and you'll run into problems with clearance. He also said that they're making an newer version of the trackbar that will work for people with 3 inches and lower. There will be no upgrade option though since it's not being sold as a trackbar but as a "trackbar steering shaft brace". And the original would still serve its purpose as a trackbar. I'm going to pull the trigger on the remainder of the kit and I'll give a review of how it does once installed.
Given the major track bar clearance issues that Rock Solid has I can't see the JKS reinforcement kit being any different in spite of what JKS states. It hangs down there right too where the TB wants to stuff. Those folks that have them better check after they have done some serious flexing to make sure the TB doesn't crash into the sector brace. The poor steering gear doesn't need any additional abuse.

Keep in mind that the it has to clear even when the passenger side axle has mashed the bump stop completely and bottomed against metal.

Mike
Old 11-16-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OutlawJK
After doing the lift install and running it a few miles I had my wife turn the steering wheel back and forth while I checked for movement and noticed the sector shaft moving a little
I had less than 100 miles on the jeep at the time
Been thinking about it every since
Time to get one of these kits

Great thread

Sent from my iPhone
Mine had sector shaft play when I bought it new. Second box loosened up as well. Third is holding up so far but I really want a solution like this to take the strain off the box. Just want to make sure all the bugs are worked out.

Mike
Old 11-16-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CnoteJK
I just ordered the Evo unit last week. It's a bolt on, I'll let y'all know what I think..
I am afraid of their solution, bracing the shaft against the far frame rail. What additional stress is put on the shaft when the frame starts flexing heavily?? Is it pulling or pushing on the shaft??

Mike
Old 11-16-2011, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Jae, what track bar are you running? So your good with clearance issues?
Old 11-16-2011, 03:33 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Deepwater
Given the major track bar clearance issues that Rock Solid has I can't see the JKS reinforcement kit being any different in spite of what JKS states. It hangs down there right too where the TB wants to stuff. Those folks that have them better check after they have done some serious flexing to make sure the TB doesn't crash into the sector brace. The poor steering gear doesn't need any additional abuse.

Keep in mind that the it has to clear even when the passenger side axle has mashed the bump stop completely and bottomed against metal.

Mike
This is one of the things I'm worried about... I have it all sitting in boxes but have just been so busy with work that I've had no time to get it in to even check if it'll fit correctly. I'm gonna be mighty pissed off if a company that sells one thing FULLY well aware that it doesn't work with another one of their items but says it does even after you call and read off the specs on your rig. That just makes for bad business.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Cool

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
We have installed about 6 of these kits and they work awesome.

David
Can it be used with the Teraflex Monster Track bar?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fadeout

This is one of the things I'm worried about... I have it all sitting in boxes but have just been so busy with work that I've had no time to get it in to even check if it'll fit correctly. I'm gonna be mighty pissed off if a company that sells one thing FULLY well aware that it doesn't work with another one of their items but says it does even after you call and read off the specs on your rig. That just makes for bad business.
x2 I just ordered their track bar and am about to order this kit, but since I have read this thread I'm starting to worry...

Quick Reply: JKS Sector Shaft Reinforcement Kit Anybody?