Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JKS Quicker disconnects question

Old 11-18-2011, 03:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JKS Quicker disconnects question

If you use JKS quicker disconnects can you post a pic of how you bungie up the sway bar when the disconnects are removed? I in the instructions it says do not stow the sway bar vertically as it may pop a tire. It says it should be stowed horizontally but they don't provide a picture.

Also, the shop that put the disconnects on when I had my shocks and springs swapped decided that they did not need to use loctite on the bolts because the came with nyloc nuts. I even provided them the f'ing loctite because I have read numerous threads stating that you do need the loctite. I guess I will pull the 4 bolts and put loctite on them this weekend.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 616fun
I don't have a picture - but i just zip tie it to the frame. Pull it up and zip tie one side up. When you are ready to reconnect, just cut the zip tie and put the discos back on.
I thought i read that you don't want to pull it up. The damn directions aren't clear. I will the disconnects and pull it up like you suggested and see how close the bar gets to my tire.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:22 AM
JK Freak

Level and zip ties. No issues.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:57 AM
JK Super Freak

I leave my sway bar at the same position it was at when I removed my JKS's - basically horizontal, parallel to the ground. No zip ties or anything else. Has worked fine the times I've wheeled, full flex and everything.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

yep, 2 per side for me.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like most posters have said, I just zip tie them to the frame horizontallly. One long zip is all I use and I have not had a problem. I used to use a bungy, but it fell off one time and the sway bar fell down a bit and did rub my tire. Hence the zip tie now.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Thanks guys. I have been thinking about the loctite issue. I was thinking about just backing the nuts off a little and then apply the loctite. Any issue with that approach?

They didn't even grease the disconnects luckily I took my grease gun with me and greased them. When I asked the shop they said that they had run out of grease. Really ?! If I hadn't asked they would not have told me.

If you want the job done right I guess you just have to do it yourself.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newbiejeeper
Thanks guys. I have been thinking about the loctite issue. I was thinking about just backing the nuts off a little and then apply the loctite. Any issue with that approach?

They didn't even grease the disconnects luckily I took my grease gun with me and greased them. When I asked the shop they said that they had run out of grease. Really ?! If I hadn't asked they would not have told me.

If you want the job done right I guess you just have to do it yourself.
I used loctite on mine (now) , but really you will know if they are starting to come loose. When they are loose and I back out of my driveway I hear a squeak going down the sloping curb into the street.

I didn't grease mine originally. I was told by a vendor not too. I agree with that to some extent. When I got them the bushings turned nicely. Later when they started to really stick I started to grease them. I don't see any wear issue with mine, but they sure are messy now.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by remark

I used loctite on mine (now) , but really you will know if they are starting to come loose. When they are loose and I back out of my driveway I hear a squeak going down the sloping curb into the street.

I didn't grease mine originally. I was told by a vendor not too. I agree with that to some extent. When I got them the bushings turned nicely. Later when they started to really stick I started to grease them. I don't see any wear issue with mine, but they sure are messy now.
Some of us in Washington got turned onto Motorcycle Chain Wax/Lube for our end links by an old hand. This stuff works great for these joints and doesn't gather much grit, even our mud comes off pretty easily with a power wash. Hope this helps in striking the right balance.

Gary T
Old 11-18-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I welded a tab to the top of the spring perch and a tab on the sway bar with a nice heavy spring, closed the ends on it so it doesnt fall off. Works great!!! I will have to get a pic for ya.

Quick Reply: JKS Quicker disconnects question