Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JKS drop brackets or non adjustable lower front arms?

Old 12-12-2015, 02:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default JKS drop brackets or non adjustable lower front arms?

What would you use to add a bit of caster to your front end. I am deciding between JKS drop brackets or a non adjustable control arm...
Old 12-12-2015, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adjustable arms are probably your best bet.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Why wouldn't you go with adjustable? I know they are more, and a little more maintenance, but you can also dial the castor in perfectly.

But between your choices, I'd choose drop brackets... cause I would be saving the extra money not spent on non-adjustable arms for adjustable ones.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:00 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Drop brackets will give you better geometry but will cost you a little bit of ground clearance at the bracket, I would not waste money on fixed arms.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

how much lift do you have or how much correction do you need? I have 2.75" actual lift up front (2.5 RK lift) and I have used both AEV geo correction brackets and TF lca sport control arms on the same rig with the same lift. First I used the brackets and they got my caster to almost 5* and the ride was great. I did not however like how low they hung down so went with the tf fixed control arms and ride is exactly the same as with the geo brackets. caster is 4.5*. If you were blindfolded you could not tell which was which on driving and ride. Both one finger driving at 80mph. I much prefer the better ground clearance of the fixed length control arms. The control arms are cheap and easy to install. 4wd.com with forum discount is like $165. They run a stock clevite style bushings so are maint free and actually flex well. Synergy also makes a set that is a bit longer if you have taller than 3" lift. If my rig were stolen or wrecked I would do the exact same build on my next one. Will it win at KOH? no but it drives 80mph all day long and I had 0 issues doing the rubicon trail or 6 and 7 rated trails at Moab (been there 3X in it and going again the end of Jan.) If you are going to go hard core then I am sure adj johnny jointed type control arms are the way to go, but if just doing easier stuff like the rubicon trail etc then the fixed control arms are hard to beat if you have a 3" or less lift.

Last edited by jadmt; 12-12-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jadmt
how much lift do you have or how much correction do you need? I have 2.75" actual lift up front (2.5 RK lift) and I have used both AEV geo correction brackets and TF lca sport control arms on the same rig with the same lift. First I used the brackets and they got my caster to almost 5* and the ride was great. I did not however like how low they hung down so went with the tf fixed control arms and ride is exactly the same as with the geo brackets. caster is 4.5*. If you were blindfolded you could not tell which was which on driving and ride. Both one finger driving at 80mph. I much prefer the better ground clearance of the fixed length control arms. The control arms are cheap and easy to install. 4wd.com with forum discount is like $165. They run a stock clevite style bushings so are maint free and actually flex well. Synergy also makes a set that is a bit longer if you have taller than 3" lift. If my rig were stolen or wrecked I would do the exact same build on my next one. Will it win at KOH? no but it drives 80mph all day long and I had 0 issues doing the rubicon trail or 6 and 7 rated trails at Moab (been there 3X in it and going again the end of Jan.) If you are going to go hard core then I am sure adj johnny jointed type control arms are the way to go, but if just doing easier stuff like the rubicon trail etc then the fixed control arms are hard to beat if you have a 3" or less lift.
Thanks! this is what I was wondering. I have the teraflex 2" lift. My handling is flighty, with tires aired correctly. I am looking at JKS as they have control arms that are available for 2" of lift. I would love to have the TF arms, but they are too long for my application. I am right at the edge of acceptable caster now. I guess I am going to go with the arms. I don't want adjustable as I am not wanting extra maintenance etc involved with them. I am not trying to win KOH either. I daily drive my Jeep, but I do use it off road a lot. The on road handling is suffering because of the caster number. Its a good way to refresh my bushings too!
Old 12-13-2015, 04:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Kojack
Thanks! this is what I was wondering. I have the teraflex 2" lift. My handling is flighty, with tires aired correctly. I am looking at JKS as they have control arms that are available for 2" of lift. I would love to have the TF arms, but they are too long for my application. I am right at the edge of acceptable caster now. I guess I am going to go with the arms. I don't want adjustable as I am not wanting extra maintenance etc involved with them. I am not trying to win KOH either. I daily drive my Jeep, but I do use it off road a lot. The on road handling is suffering because of the caster number. Its a good way to refresh my bushings too!
TF's fixed arm would serve you well @ 3/16 longer then stock. Although you can run more caster at lower heights with no concerns.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:50 AM
JK Junkie

Hmmm, maybe I will go that route then! .5" of lift is not going to change crap that much on either side of the coin as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by Kojack; 12-13-2015 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:35 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm at 2.5" of lift and did the AEV GEO brackets. Very happy with them for what my jeep is used for. Lots of DD on the highways, no flighty steering what so ever

Pretty sure Rubicon Express and Rancho make a similar product but I have no hands on experience with these
Old 12-14-2015, 03:47 AM
JK Junkie

JKs has them too. I am wondering now, if the arm anlges have anything to do with the better handling or is it actually just the caster improvement. I like JKS brackets are they are much stronger than the aev units.

Quick Reply: JKS drop brackets or non adjustable lower front arms?