Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JKS Disco and Stowing Sway bar

Old 02-20-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JKS Disco and Stowing Sway bar

I recently installed some JKS Quicker Disconnects on my JK... great product, very easy on and off!! I've done a search and I'm finding conflicting information. The instruction that came with the discos says to remove the links and stow the sway bar horizontal to the ground. Some people on this forum say it's okay to stow the sway bar all the way in the up position.

I have a RE 2.0 Coil spacer lift w/monotube shock on 33" tires if it makes any difference. A few questions:

- what is the correct way to stow the sway bar to prevent damage, horizontal or up?
- if stowing in the horizontal position, where is the best place to run the bungee cord or zip lock?
- does the sway bar need to be secured on both sides of the Jeep?

I've seen pictures on how to stow everything leaving the link attached at the top of the sway bar, nothing with the links completely removed.

This pic shows the only place I could see to run the bungee cord or zip ties when stowed horizontally. I'd appreciate information showing how others with the JKS disco stow their sway bar.

Thanks.....

Last edited by AZ Outlaws; 02-21-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:03 PM
JK Junkie

man i've seen those zip ties break and a tire get punctured when it was stuffed on more than one occasion. when i had my X i got these from teraflex. just the brackets ya see there . they bolt on up front to your frame using a bolt that is already there. fast ,cheap,easy,totally secure and you can get just the brackets from TF.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:04 PM
JK Junkie

oh never mind you are talking about the bar not the links.
geez ,i can't remember what i did with mine.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws
- what is the correct way to stow the sway bar to prevent damage, horizontal or up?
- if stowing in the horizontal position, where is the best place to run the bungee cord or zip lock?
- does the sway bar need to be secured on both sides of the Jeep?
1. Either horizontal or Up is OK. You don't want the swaybar to drop and position itself under the Tie Roe or Draglink when the suspensionflexes. That would be a mess!!!
2. There is a hollow tube coming through the frame. A while back someone did a write up on putting a wooden dowel in to hold the swaybar up.
3. One side is enough. Both is better.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any other JKS disconnect users want to chime in here? How do you stow the sway bar, up or horizontal. Any pictures of how you secure the sway bar in the horizontal position?

Thanks

Last edited by AZ Outlaws; 02-21-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

I put mine horizontal. Haven't ever used anything to secure it. I don't think it will move up or down without any force on it. I mean it takes some muscle to move the thing up or down, the mounts on the frame that hold the sway bar keep a pretty snug grip on it so I haven't zip tied or bungied or anything to hold it, just removed the links, left the bar horizontal, and rolled with it. Haven't been on any rocks yet since switching from the tf to the jks, so haven't come down hard for a force that would even have a chance of moving it. But secure it somehow for reasurance and you'll be good, the picure u show looks like a good set up
Old 02-21-2010, 03:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssunde1
I put mine horizontal. Haven't ever used anything to secure it. I don't think it will move up or down without any force on it. I mean it takes some muscle to move the thing up or down
Mine is the same way, a pain in the ... to move. I just bungy it up like you did. I have seen others do the same.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Freak

i just push it all the way up and leave it be and it seems to work for me? out of the way and she doesnt move once shes up there
Old 02-21-2010, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

O.P. I'm pulling the trigger to order just the TeraFlex brackets and pins like in the picture up top. This will tie into an existing body mount bolt so you can just disconnect one end of the JKS disco and swing it up to the pin and attach it while wheeling. I believe the price when I spoke with Joe with TF was $29.99 or close for the (2) brackets and (2) pins.

Mike
Old 02-21-2010, 04:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Order extra pins for the TF brackets. Lots of posts on here about having the tires rip the pins off when turning.

For the swaybar position in that top pic - with the swaybar disconnected and pushed all the way up, consider where that mounting pin will end up when flexed while turning. Shouldn't take you long to find people that have ripped up their nice new tires that way. Keeping it in the normal horizontal position would be a better way to go.

Quick Reply: JKS Disco and Stowing Sway bar