Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Wheel Spacers

Old 11-17-2013, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Wheel Spacers

I have a 2009 Sport X and was looking to make it look a little wider. I looked and saw wheel spacers. Are they safe to use? Will they cause parts to wear out? Any alternatives if those aren't any good?
Old 11-17-2013, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The Spidertrax type of spacers are fine. Assuming you install them correctly and are willing to check them as part of regular maintenance.

The alternative is new rims with less backspace.

Spacers will not cause any more wear than rims with equal backspace.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by garrettuecker
I have a 2009 Sport X and was looking to make it look a little wider. I looked and saw wheel spacers. Are they safe to use? Will they cause parts to wear out? Any alternatives if those aren't any good?
Never heard of spacers on a jk , did you try the search to see if anybody else ever ran them
Old 11-17-2013, 07:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The Spidertrax type of spacers are fine. Assuming you install them correctly and are willing to check them as part of regular maintenance.

The alternative is new rims with less backspace.

Spacers will not cause any more wear than rims with equal backspace.
X's 2! Do not get the cheepo washer spacers. I've been running for several thousand miles. No problem.

Last edited by Ryan0260; 11-18-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, thanks, if I decide to go that route I'll definitely go for the quality ones
Old 11-17-2013, 07:41 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jaker t5
Never heard of spacers on a jk , did you try the search to see if anybody else ever ran them
Clever- kudos to you fine sir :thumb:

Originally Posted by catahoula
X's 2! Do not get the cheepo washer spacers. Check out Project-JK for write up. I've been running for several thousand miles. No problem.
"Cheepo washer spacers" are perfectly acceptable so long as there is enough wheel stud for the lug nut to engage and the wheel sits flush with the mounting surface. They are prone to cracking if overtightened but that's easily avoidable.

The spacer phenomenon comes down to proper installation and maintenance by the operator. Seat belts are unsafe as wheel spacers if not installed and utilized properly.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2013, 07:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
Clever- kudos to you fine sir :thumb:

"Cheepo washer spacers" are perfectly acceptable so long as there is enough wheel stud for the lug nut to engage and the wheel sits flush with the mounting surface. They are prone to cracking if overtightened but that's easily avoidable.

The spacer phenomenon comes down to proper installation and maintenance by the operator. Seat belts are unsafe as wheel spacers if not installed and utilized properly.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
I still would not use.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to run wheel spacers Spidertrax are the best.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post I have the RC ones....

no problems at all in the 2 years I've had them on. I did use blue loctite when I installed them
Old 11-18-2013, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2009 JKUR, I've run bolt-on spacers for over 95,000 miles and 4 sets of tires up to 35's with no issues. Use red lok-tite when you install them and, barring some structure issue in the aluminum, or poor machining of the spacers you are good to go. I have never torque checked my spacer since I installed them almost 5 years ago. The reason for not torque checking them, as some have suggested, is to keep the integrity of the lok-tite.

Quick Reply: JK Wheel Spacers