Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK VS JL Rubicon axles

Old 09-16-2019, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default JK VS JL Rubicon axles

I have a chance to buy a set of 2018 rubicon axles to put under my 2017 sport . They have around 7000 miles on them, never offroad ,in fact I don't think the lockers have ever been used. I was planning to sleeve and brace them as long as they were off .Do you know if the control arm location and spring mounts have been changed for the JL's. He's asking 2500 for the set.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

$2500 for the set almost seems too good to be true. I'd verify everything before plopping down that money. I had a friend buy a "low mile, never off-road set" and the front one ended up being bent.
The following users liked this post:
LC Boyer (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 03:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I would rather have a JK 44 over what they are putting in the JL. I would not give anything for any JL front axle. Rear should be fine.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Why would you want to do that? I can’t see an advantage
Old 09-17-2019, 05:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by LC Boyer
Why would you want to do that? I can’t see an advantage
OP is trying to swap sport axles for rubi axles. They'd gain lockers and a front 44 vs JK D30 up front and open diffs. I can see the allure in trying to do so for a small net out of pocket upgrade.

I haven't looked at the JL axles much cuz I just don't care.....I'm in my JK for life, but TheDirtman is plugged into this stuff, and if he says he wouldn't touch a JL front in this situation, best to pass on this deal which is likely packaged together.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I haven't looked at the JL axles much cuz I just don't care.....I'm in my JK for life, but TheDirtman is plugged into this stuff, and if he says he wouldn't touch a JL front in this situation, best to pass on this deal which is likely packaged together.
From what I understand, there is now some kind of disconnect in the front axle that keeps everything from spinning when you're running around in 2WD. More to go wrong, especially early in the release. I'll keep my hubs and ProRock 60's. Nothing spins when I'm in 2WD either.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,700 Posts

that makes sense given they have to squeeze every bit of fuel economy out of these thigns to meet standards. Only so much you can do with engine and body weight.......gotta cut out things like diff internals wasting energy now too.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know the guy that's selling them. He's the type that has to have top of the line even though he'll never use them. Ive built Harleys for this guy and any new part that came out he had to be the first to get it. I wanted to build a set of axles that would be stronger than the sports and not be in a rush. I've got other projects in the works also.I did not know about the open diff on the front. I may still get them and use them on something else down the road.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I saw that plastic box on the front axle in my mother-in-laws JL Sahara, and the 4Auto option on the dash. Wasn't sure if the Rubi has it also.

Wonder what they do for a truss/armor kit?
Old 09-18-2019, 04:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

They all have the front axle disconnect for fuel economy. A cheap alternative to a lock out hub. Works similar to the Rubi sway bar disconnect. Anyone seen one of those fail? There are skids for the box. I have also seen 3 JL's so far break the entire wheel off the inner C. If you do get them check the track bar brackets as there was a recall for poor welds.

Quick Reply: JK VS JL Rubicon axles