Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK v8 conversion or power adder

Old 01-02-2014, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have explored all kinds of options to increase power. Hemi and ls conversions did not seem worth it. For engine swaps, a diesel with a good bit of it being fabbed by us seemed to be the most economical. Time constraints stopped us though. I can't stand to pay the cost of the ripp for what it gives you. We plan on going turbo, buying the head unit and putting together the rest. Properly sized it will spool pretty quick and give the low end needed for crawling.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKB
I put a RIPP Supercharger in my 2012 JK automatic about 5 months ago, and I am mostly pleased with it. The automatic transmission sometimes gets confused and doesn't up-shift or down-shift when it should. When I pass a car I usually have to down-shift manually. This is not RIPP's fault as the trans programming is locked by Chrysler. Also, the gas millage is about the same as stock: 18 mpg hwy and 15 mpg city.

As stated in earlier posts, all of the boost is in the 3000+ RPM range on the RIPP, because it has a centrifugal supercharger. I will have to applaud RIPP for their tuning. So far I have not had a single misfire and no warning lights even using 89 octane. For highway use, the RIPP is a good choice if you have a manual transmission or don't mind shifting the auto yourself. However, I wish I would have waited for a Roots supercharger kit. With a Roots supercharger you get full boost at 1200 rpm, and this suits my driving style much better. RIPP states that you will get 317 HP and 280 TRQ at the wheels, but it feels more like 250 HP and 240 TRQ even using the recommended 91 octane gas. This is sill much better than stock. The HP and TRQ number published for the Chrysler Pentastar are total BS. RIPP is right; it only makes about 190 HP and 180 TRQ.

I have ridden in a 6.4L Hemi conversion, and it is 1000% better than any V6+supercharger/turbo. If you have the money, go with the 6.4L swap! In the end, I will most likely keep the 3.6L with the RIPP Supercharger until I find a CARB legal diesel conversion. Hopefully, someone will eventually offer a swap to a VM Motori 3.0L V6. With a couple of modifications it will make 450 ft-lbs of TRQ and get 30 mpg!
Please make sure you are running the latest tune. We released a V2.0 tune at the end of November.

The new tune is named RIPP36_2.0 just check your diablosport and make sure that is the name of the tune that you are running. Happy new year!!!

RIPP
Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AEV or Sprintex if your looking for that torque curve. Make sure the sprintex has the aftercooler. Made a world of difference in mine. More power and better drivability. The torque comes in so low its actually weird but so satisfying. Has its tuning kinks though. Mine needs a custom tune that costs extra $$$
Old 01-02-2014, 03:33 PM
AKB
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
You do realize that the numbers from ripp on the pentastar are wheel hp numbers and jeeps numbers are crank right?
I am totally aware of this, but 34% drivetrain loss seems a bit excessive ((285-189)/285 HP = .336). Most likely Chrysler "fudged" their numbers a little.

Last edited by AKB; 01-02-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AKB

I am totally aware of this, but 34% drivetrain loss seems a bit excessive ((285-189)/285 HP = .336). Most likely Chrysler "fudged" their numbers a little.
Actually 32-35% is quite common with a 4x4 live axle design. A typical single drive car will have a 16-20% loss. Add a transfer case and oversize tires there ya go

Last edited by Tooadvanced; 01-02-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
Actually 32-35% is quite common with a 4x4 live axle design. A typical single drive car will have a 16-20% loss. Add a transfer case and oversize tires there ya go
Unfortunately, that is exactly it.

RIPP

Quick Reply: JK v8 conversion or power adder