Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK v8 conversion or power adder

Old 12-31-2013, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been continuing to do my homework on this subject. The v8 swap seems to be the ultimate but extraordinarily expensive, even if I do it myself. I may decide to get an '07- '11 Rubicon in the spring and save my pennies (many many pennies) for a few years until I can do the v8.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

with an LS swap, do you still have use of your stock items like your tach, remote start, security system, etc?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

From the info I've read about and have seen from MoTech, all factory Jeep equipment and even some extra equipment is supported with an LS swap. Plus the LS engine and trans can run stand alone too if you end up, for some reason, loosing your jeep electronics out on the trail.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:45 AM
JSS
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default LS/HEMI in a JK

We have done LS swaps and Hemi swaps, I like the VVT Truck HEMI and the 545RFE trans for its simplicity and ease of the install. The VVT Truck HEMI has 400HP and a lot of low end torque do to the short runner intake and we have a tune that helps with the power and the emissions, also it is all plug and play!

Now the LS is a great engine and the 6L80 trans is also what i think makes the swap, the 6L80 trans is a really good trans. Now then setting up your swap it is VERY important when using the Chevrolet LS, using the same year engine/trans combo helps if you go used. Matching up the 6L80 to the engine is very important, the thing about the LS swap is matching up the parts. I have a 2010 6.2L/6L80 in my Jeep JK and i love it, but it is a little harder to install, just more time.

We do the LS swap a little different, our wiring harness is all new and we use the GM accessory drive on the front of the engine also we use the GM cruise control for safety. The GuineaPig has been running for over a year and it has 512HP at the crank!

I would buy a older Jeep and build it the way you want, nothing beats a V8 power, either a HEMI or a LS you can not go wrong!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

No replacement for displacement. That said, not worth it until an engine problem forces it to be done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2550040305.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	520451  
Old 01-02-2014, 03:33 AM
AKB
JK Newbie

Default 2012 3.6L RIPP Supercharger

I put a RIPP Supercharger in my 2012 JK automatic about 5 months ago, and I am mostly pleased with it. The automatic transmission sometimes gets confused and doesn't up-shift or down-shift when it should. When I pass a car I usually have to down-shift manually. This is not RIPP's fault as the trans programming is locked by Chrysler. Also, the gas millage is about the same as stock: 18 mpg hwy and 15 mpg city.

As stated in earlier posts, all of the boost is in the 3000+ RPM range on the RIPP, because it has a centrifugal supercharger. I will have to applaud RIPP for their tuning. So far I have not had a single misfire and no warning lights even using 89 octane. For highway use, the RIPP is a good choice if you have a manual transmission or don't mind shifting the auto yourself. However, I wish I would have waited for a Roots supercharger kit. With a Roots supercharger you get full boost at 1200 rpm, and this suits my driving style much better. RIPP states that you will get 317 HP and 280 TRQ at the wheels, but it feels more like 250 HP and 240 TRQ even using the recommended 91 octane gas. This is sill much better than stock. The HP and TRQ number published for the Chrysler Pentastar are total BS. RIPP is right; it only makes about 190 HP and 180 TRQ.

I have ridden in a 6.4L Hemi conversion, and it is 1000% better than any V6+supercharger/turbo. If you have the money, go with the 6.4L swap! In the end, I will most likely keep the 3.6L with the RIPP Supercharger until I find a CARB legal diesel conversion. Hopefully, someone will eventually offer a swap to a VM Motori 3.0L V6. With a couple of modifications it will make 450 ft-lbs of TRQ and get 30 mpg!

Last edited by AKB; 01-02-2014 at 03:37 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:19 AM
JSS
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 3.0L Diesel

Originally Posted by AKB
I put a RIPP Supercharger in my 2012 JK automatic about 5 months ago, and I am mostly pleased with it. The automatic transmission sometimes gets confused and doesn't up-shift or down-shift when it should. When I pass a car I usually have to down-shift manually. This is not RIPP's fault as the trans programming is locked by Chrysler. Also, the gas millage is about the same as stock: 18 mpg hwy and 15 mpg city.

As stated in earlier posts, all of the boost is in the 3000+ RPM range on the RIPP, because it has a centrifugal supercharger. I will have to applaud RIPP for their tuning. So far I have not had a single misfire and no warning lights even using 89 octane. For highway use, the RIPP is a good choice if you have a manual transmission or don't mind shifting the auto yourself. However, I wish I would have waited for a Roots supercharger kit. With a Roots supercharger you get full boost at 1200 rpm, and this suits my driving style much better. RIPP states that you will get 317 HP and 280 TRQ at the wheels, but it feels more like 250 HP and 240 TRQ even using the recommended 91 octane gas. This is sill much better than stock. The HP and TRQ number published for the Chrysler Pentastar are total BS. RIPP is right; it only makes about 190 HP and 180 TRQ.

I have ridden in a 6.4L Hemi conversion, and it is 1000% better than any V6+supercharger/turbo. If you have the money, go with the 6.4L swap! In the end, I will most likely keep the 3.6L with the RIPP Supercharger until I find a CARB legal diesel conversion. Hopefully, someone will eventually offer a swap to a VM Motori 3.0L V6. With a couple of modifications it will make 450 ft-lbs of TRQ and get 30 mpg!
We are trying to get a 3.0L Diesel to test, we found 15 engines. We are working on it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5811.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	520646
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5807.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	520647
We would have to use the 6L80 trans, working out the bugs with the 8 speed.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AKB

You do realize that the numbers from ripp on the pentastar are wheel hp numbers and jeeps numbers are crank right?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

I appreciate all the input on this issue as I have been researching this for several months. I would love to put a V8 (Hemi or LS) in, but honestly cannot get over the cost/benefit ratio of V8 vs SC.

Being that I am not made of money, the bottom line is:
engine/trans, driveshafts, upgrades to axels (unless you are already running beefy 44's or 60's), and undoubtedly other things that I am forgetting that = VERY BIG MONEY!

For a capable DD/ weekend rig that has decent hwy manners on 35's or 37's, a $6k SC seems more reasonable. I do like the simplicity of the Magnuson/AEV kit and running 4.10 or 4.88 gears (another $1k) would be icing on my cake....

All that said, if I ever become made of money then heck ya V8 city.....!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mtngoat
I appreciate all the input on this issue as I have been researching this for several months. I would love to put a V8 (Hemi or LS) in, but honestly cannot get over the cost/benefit ratio of V8 vs SC.

Being that I am not made of money, the bottom line is:
engine/trans, driveshafts, upgrades to axels (unless you are already running beefy 44's or 60's), and undoubtedly other things that I am forgetting that = VERY BIG MONEY!

For a capable DD/ weekend rig that has decent hwy manners on 35's or 37's, a $6k SC seems more reasonable. I do like the simplicity of the Magnuson/AEV kit and running 4.10 or 4.88 gears (another $1k) would be icing on my cake....

All that said, if I ever become made of money then heck ya V8 city.....!

Now comes the thread about which supercharger to get.

Quick Reply: JK v8 conversion or power adder