Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK v8 conversion or power adder

Old 12-25-2013, 10:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maertz
and very heavy if i recall
Almost doubles the front end weight. Dana 30? Forget it.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

I've owned both a supercharged V6 in a 4x4 Toyota pickup truck, and a V8 powered JK, which is my current Jeep. Supercharged V6s are nice, but they feel like a V6 that makes more power. A V8 feels completely different, at least the 500 HP and 500 ft lb of torque 6.4 V8 in my 2013 JK feels completely different. The big hemi is so smooth and so strong it is incredible. When four wheeling you almost never need low range, the V8 will go anywhere at idle or just above. The torque changes everything.

A JKUR with a 6.4 becomes a world class driving machine, one of the best machines you can buy, at any price. It is an absolute joy to drive, and the 6.4 is what makes the Jeep worth owning.

I owned two JKs with the 3.8 in them, and I wouldn't buy another one unless I were doing a V8 swap. They just aren't worth putting up with the lack of power.

My advise to the original poster: Don't buy a JK with a 3.8 in it. Buy a JK with a 3.6 in it and leave it stock. See what you think; If your'e like most people you'll be happy with it.

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 12-26-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^^^^^ What He Said^^^^^^^^^

I agree wholeheartedly, even a 5.7L hemi with 345hp and 345 ft lbs is a BIG difference and on the trails you can't beat the needed horses and torque! Because if anything "when in doubt throttle OUT"!! LOL
Old 12-27-2013, 08:18 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Baddintentions4u
^^^^^^^^^ What He Said^^^^^^^^^

I agree wholeheartedly, even a 5.7L hemi with 345hp and 345 ft lbs is a BIG difference and on the trails you can't beat the needed horses and torque! Because if anything "when in doubt throttle OUT"!! LOL
Like I said earlier though a boosted 3.8/3.6 will put out more power than a stock hemi any day for 1/4 the cost. Yeah I've seen 7.0 hemi jk swaps that make 800hp NA but that swap was $90,000 just engine trans cost. Any don't forget the hemi is a iron block so heavy and they are notorious for over heating in the jk platform. Thats one big reason I would go ls over hemi any day. Plus the ls cost less, more aftermarket, better mileage, no over heating just to name a few. But say its got an ls is not as cool as saying yeah its got a hemi!!!!lol
Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

I'll agree with the fact that a V8 is a totally different type of power than a charged V6 despite having similar numbers. And as awesome as it would be to have a V8 (LS over HEMI in my opinion) in my JKU, I decided to go with the RIPP Supercharger for my Pentastar instead. Main reason obviously is the price. But also I don't feel I need a sh*t load of power on the bottom end for what I do with my Jeep. Mine is built as an overlander, so I tend to want the power for getting on freeways or keeping speed up hill and at elevation. As much as I would love the low end grunt of a V8 or even a Cummins 4BT, that would also mean beefing up the entire drive line to accommodate high torque at slow speeds.

But if you have the money, and you're doing KOH stuff, then the V8 is probably the best option for you.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys for all of the input. I have the ability to do the v8 swap myself with exception of getting all of the electronics working together. By the way it sounds I could contact Motech for help with that part. A LS v8 would be my choice if I were to go down the swap road. The cost of the engine swap isn't as big of a concern as how all of the rest of the driveline will hold up. After what has been said in this thread and some others I have read, the drive line would all need to be upgraded along with the engine. So it sounds like the best option for a v8 would be a high mileage or a mechanically disabled 2008 or so. The model may not really matter either as the axles will have to be replaced anyway. Conversely, the driveline of a JK with a power adder, a gear change, and possibly front chromemoly axles, can hold up for a long time as long as you don't abuse it too bad?? Which will bring down the expense considerably and still have a fair amount of power? In that case it sounds like a 2012 or newer with a RIPP SC?
Thanks, Scott
Old 12-27-2013, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

So really I need to find someone that lives within a couple of hours drive from me that has a JK with a RIPP supercharger, and one with a v8. Also willing to give me a ride to show off their machines!!!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
Like I said earlier though a boosted 3.8/3.6 will put out more power than a stock hemi any day for 1/4 the cost. Yeah I've seen 7.0 hemi jk swaps that make 800hp NA but that swap was $90,000 just engine trans cost. Any don't forget the hemi is a iron block so heavy and they are notorious for over heating in the jk platform. Thats one big reason I would go ls over hemi any day. Plus the ls cost less, more aftermarket, better mileage, no over heating just to name a few. But say its got an ls is not as cool as saying yeah its got a hemi!!!!lol
I have owned both a SC 3.8 and now a 5.7 VVT Hemi and the Hemi out performs a SC V-6 where it counts. The Hemi gives you torque in the low rpms where you need it where the SC gives you horse power at the high rpms. I also get better fuel mileage out of the Hemi than I did with the SC 3.8.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:26 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 4wdave
I have owned both a SC 3.8 and now a 5.7 VVT Hemi and the Hemi out performs a SC V-6 where it counts. The Hemi gives you torque in the low rpms where you need it where the SC gives you horse power at the high rpms.
That is a funtion of the type of supercharger used. As you mentioned, centrifugal style superchargers will deliver more benefits in the higher rpm range as they depend on rpm to generate boost. Roots/screw type super chargers on the other hand deliver power across the entire power band and hence generate more torque in the lower rpms.

I am not saying an SC is def better than a v8. Each have their pros and cons. Just wanted to point out that all superchargers are not identical...
Old 12-30-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Look into getting a different exhaust and a supercharger

Quick Reply: JK v8 conversion or power adder