Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK v8 conversion or power adder

Old 12-25-2013, 03:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK v8 conversion or power adder

Hi! I'm new to the forum so this may have been addressed and beat to death already, but I would like some opinions and info on the possibility of a power adder or v8 conversion for a JK. Which one is best? The v8 would be really pricy and from what I've read so far a power adder could give me as much power as a v8? Any of your ideas and experience will be greatly appretiated. I haven't bought a Jeep yet. I would like to know more about which model and year would be best. I'm planning to build up a Jk.
Right now I'm thinking a Rubicon mainly because of the stronger Dana 44 front axle and lockers. With added power and 35" tires I was thinking the Dana 30 would fail quickly? I have also seen that RIPP has been able to install their supercharger on a '12 and newer 3.6.
Thanks! Scott

Last edited by cantdad; 12-25-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:02 PM
cfr
JK Freak

You don't specifically mention what year JK you have and it's not in your profile (although 2012+ w/3.6L is implied).

I've read almost every performance thread on the forum and here is the collective advice in order of increasing cost,

1) Programmer. $300. Do your research.
2) Re-gear. $1000-2500. Select your ratio carefully.
3) RIPP Long-tube headers + tuner (3.8L). $1500-2000. Pricey but naturally aspirated.
4) Supercharger or Turbo. Long debate on which is better. E.g., RIPP MODS ($3000+)
5) V8 Swap. Chrysler Hemi or Chevy LS. ($10k-20k up to as much as you want to spend).

Everything else you read about is debatable (CIA, throttle body, mufflers, etc).

The best guidance is to search, read, research, talk to friends, ask questions on the forum, call the vendors, etc.

For me, I run 35s with the 3.8L automatic. I have the Superchips Flashpaq and re-geared to 5.13 in the Colorado Mountains.

Good luck.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cantdad
Hi! I'm new to the forum so this may have been addressed and beat to death already, but I would like some opinions and info on the possibility of a power adder or v8 conversion for a JK. Which one is best? The v8 would be really pricy and from what I've read so far a power adder could give me as much power as a v8? Any of your ideas and experience will be greatly appretiated. I haven't bought a Jeep yet. I would like to know more about which model and year would be best. I'm planning to build up a Jk. Right now I'm thinking a Rubicon mainly because of the stronger Dana 44 front axle and lockers. With added power and 35" tires I was thinking the Dana 30 would fail quickly? I have also seen that RIPP has been able to install their supercharger on a '12 and newer 3.6. Thanks! Scott
just out of curiosity, what is a power adder ?
Old 12-25-2013, 04:41 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TxRdStr
just out of curiosity, what is a power adder ?
He's talking super charger or turbo. Yes rip does offer a SC for the newer 3.6 and it puts down more power than hemi or ls conversions. If I were you and you don't wanna or plan on changing axles go for a 12+ rubi and drive it. The new pentastar is great but always room for improvement. Good luck on the purchase
Old 12-25-2013, 04:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
He's talking super charger or turbo. Yes rip does offer a SC for the newer 3.6 and it puts down more power than hemi or ls conversions. If I were you and you don't wanna or plan on changing axles go for a 12+ rubi and drive it. The new pentastar is great but always room for improvement. Good luck on the purchase
i believe that on a hemi, but not on an ls, although on the 3.6 it is alot closer. I agree though cost wise ripp for the win. Also have to look where there generating that power.

Last edited by Maertz; 12-25-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz

i believe that on a hemi, but not on an ls, although on the 3.6 it is alot closer. I agree though cost wise ripp for the win. Also have to look where there generating that power.
Wasn't the dyno pull on ripps 3.6 on 37's 335+/- at the wheels? Never seen a ls put that down on 37's
Old 12-25-2013, 05:16 PM
JK Junkie

Ok just looked again it was 325hp. Using the standard for jk 33% loss that means the ripp is putting 485+/- at crank. Motech 6.2 puts 403 crank

Last edited by Tooadvanced; 12-25-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait for the sprintex 3.6L intercooled SC. Might be worth the wait.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't forget about the 4BT. Puts out like 295ft-lbs and 28+ mpg. But that's 20k. Best bang for your buck is a SC, and re-rear.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AC/DC
Don't forget about the 4BT. Puts out like 295ft-lbs and 28+ mpg. But that's 20k. Best bang for your buck is a SC, and re-rear.

and very heavy if i recall

Quick Reply: JK v8 conversion or power adder