Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK upgrades

Old 12-12-2011, 03:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree, do your research. It all depends on how you plan to use your Jeep. I would save the $300 until your for sure of your future plans for your ride.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny. If the first jeep you've ever owned is a JKU your in for a surprise. All jeeps drive like crap once lifted and tinkered with. That's half the fun of owning a jeep.

As far as first mods, I would do protection to rear and front diff.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DaJeep
Don't do anything to it. As soon as you start playing with the jeep it will never run the same. I wish someone told me that before I put on the left and tires. Now every weekend I'm under my jeep trying to see what is broken or why is it driving terrible.

Great example from another guy on the forum:
So, I rlaced my factory go-kart tires with some 285/75R16's and my fuel economy plumited from 21 to 14.5. I replaced my 3:21s with a set of 4:10's and it did nothing. The jeep has been recalibrated and the throttle body was cleaned a few weeks ago.

Stats: 2007 Wrangler X, auto tranny and 33's with 4:10 gears (yes I am sure they are 4:10).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know that bigger tires always mean worse gas mileage, but it shouldn't have dropped this much.
This is not a common case, and often not what most people experience. The constant repair is often dependent on the quality of parts you put in.

Originally Posted by Hodge7467
It's funny. If the first jeep you've ever owned is a JKU your in for a surprise. All jeeps drive like crap once lifted and tinkered with. That's half the fun of owning a jeep.

As far as first mods, I would do protection to rear and front diff.
Also not true, if you read throughout the forum, many people see a better ride with suspension upgrades. If you have spent the money to dial everything in correctly, and have done the right research, you should see an increase.

I've seen too many threads of people upgrading with cheaper kits to save money and then complaining about performance.

That being said, if this is more of a DD and especially if it's an auto, look into a programmer. I chose superchips. You will see some nice drivability gains. I you offroad more that onroad, look towards diff armor as a start. Nothing will end a day on the trail quicker than a punctured diff.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Research is the best start, if you sit down and figure what you want then start looking around the web you can find a lot of price differences at different sites and at different times. If you really figure out what parts you want and when then you don't waste money doing things twice and you have more money for other things. Research and thought!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your Jeep is new and still has a warranty, I would suggest not doing anything that could possibly muck up the warranty for your engine especially. For now I would avoid power or performance upgrades (until your lifted and with bigger tires) and stick to the simple stuff that actually protects your vehicle. A set of rock rails would be a good idea because those also do much to prevent door dings. I also like the idea of blacking out your rims because it is a simple mod that gives a really nice look. Don't bother with the programmers and stuff unless you are really unhappy with the performance as is. But that's just my suggestion..... Stick with the armor and simple stuff....maybe a leveling kit or budget boost even, but leave the engine tinkering stuff for later on if you think you really need it.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 12-12-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sip8137
Powdercoat your stock wheels it's about 300 to do and changes the look of your jk!
Or paint them with wheel paint and clear them for about $50...
Old 12-12-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

Warranty? pfft who needs a warranty? It is a Jeep, I havnt even made my first payment and already have a lift, marker light mod and a few other things on it. LOL. But to each their own. I like to break things and upgrade them. Perhaps that is why my KJ ended up being built like a tank.

Quick Reply: JK upgrades