Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Side Armour Rock Rails - which mount prefered ?

Old 04-07-2008, 09:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default JK Side Armour Rock Rails - which mount prefered ?

Which method of attaching these Side Armour Rock Rails on a 4-door will take the most beating and most secured ??

The shape of the three below are very similar, double as entry steps and including shipping costs are within $50 of each other, all $250-300 a pair.

The Rugged Ridge & Smittybilt attach to the frame at the body mounts using the stock vertical bushing bolts, two per side. MYKLT8 wrote-up with pics on the Rugged Ridge ones on thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=31705&page=2

The JCW rails need 8 holes drilled and bolt horizontally into the frame, as ENTERIC wrote-up with pics on thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=33798&page=3

Rugged Ridge #1

#2 https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...1&d=1206042951

Smittybilt

JCW
Old 04-07-2008, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to go with a different set but these were three of the originals I looked at. Here is the thread I started, hope it helps.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/need-set-rock-rails-34807/
Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by WV99XJ
I decided to go with a different set but these were three of the originals I looked at. Here is the thread I started, hope it helps.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34807
I'm subscribed to your thread also...great info, but didnt acknowledge which mounting works best. Im guessing the body mount would take more beating before detacting as the load will travel vertically, whereas the JCW mount into the frame might shear....
Old 04-07-2008, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my RRC so far, but can't tell you if one way to mount them is better than the others.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

First off, what type of off-roading are you looking to do? Are you planning to use your rails as protection or as sliders (pivot points for turning on rocks)? If you're planning on normal offroad protection, then any of the three you listed will be ok (although I am NO FAN of Rugged Ridge ).

If you're looking for sliders, then ditch the three you posted and head over to Shrockworks.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dayton
First off, what type of off-roading are you looking to do? Are you planning to use your rails as protection or as sliders (pivot points for turning on rocks)? If you're planning on normal offroad protection, then any of the three you listed will be ok (although I am NO FAN of Rugged Ridge ).

If you're looking for sliders, then ditch the three you posted and head over to Shrockworks.
I clearly hear your endorsment for Shrockworks, they have a huge fan club but I want sliders with a wider step for the kids esp when get the rig lifted, so will settle for another brand - leaning towards the ones that bolt to frame at the body mount point.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am not sure if it adds any value to your decision, but I went with the Olympic reversa-bars for the option of having a step if needed (when wife is pregnant or have family in town that needs them down). The mount was pretty good, and seems to offer as good protection as most of the other sliders.

Pics are in my gallery if you want to see them mounted on a 4-door.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Octane
I am not sure if it adds any value to your decision, but I went with the Olympic reversa-bars for the option of having a step if needed (when wife is pregnant or have family in town that needs them down). The mount was pretty good, and seems to offer as good protection as most of the other sliders.

Pics are in my gallery if you want to see them mounted on a 4-door.
Ive got their front rock bumper, Olympic products are extremely well built - I like your choice but reversa-bars look too high in up position for what I want. How are they mounted to JK ? Do they mount at either end on the vertical body mount bolt ? THanks
Old 04-09-2008, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westchester
Ive got their front rock bumper, Olympic products are extremely well built - I like your choice but reversa-bars look too high in up position for what I want. How are they mounted to JK ? Do they mount at either end on the vertical body mount bolt ? THanks
That was one of the reasons I went with it, having a 4-door and already almost high centered once, I wanted something as high as I could get that still allowed good protection.

Yes they mount to the body mount bolt with 2 horseshoe brackets per side...

...and one frame mount in the front per side.

Quick Reply: JK Side Armour Rock Rails - which mount prefered ?