Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK security issues?

Old 05-18-2013, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK security issues?

Ok so when I try and start my Jeep....it either starts and goes or it starts for a few seconds and dies or doesn't even start...not even a click. I understand the chip inside the key can cause this. The only two keys I have came with the Jeep when purchased. 08' Rubicon 2 dr...can anybody tell me more about how this works and maybe has had issues like this and how to solve
Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the same issue where is jeep is 100% dead even though the battery is fully charged. I turn the key and the dash wont even light up. I don't have a solution for you, but I will be following this thread because I want some answers.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I guess I'll call a dealership tomorrow about this problem and see what I can find out
Old 05-19-2013, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulled from JKOwners thread: (Googled "jk key issues" first link.)

A couple things common to '08s and very early '09s. The the wireless control module (WCM) can put the security system into shutdown if the key carries a static charge and jolts the WCM. When you turn the key nothing happens and the remote wont lock or unlock the doors. The remote start won't work either. The other issue is that the key's security feature may be intermittently faulty and in that case the engine will start, but immediately die. Mine has had both these issues, which have TSBs. For the first problem the WCM needs to be replaced by the dealer and the keys recoded. For the second issue the dealer will replace all of the keys with new ones.

There is a workaround for the WCM shutdown situation, and it may work for the second fault as well. You open the fuse panel under the hood, locate the large white dual fuse holder J13. Lift that up as far as it will go. That removes power to the security system, radio, etc. Wait 30 seconds and push it back down. The rig will now start & run fine. You'll lose all your radio settings.

My dealer repalced the WCM on mine and the problem came back at EJS 6 months later. The main key I always use also quit working completely, so I had to use the spare which was fine. The main key's battery was dead as a post, replacing it restored the remote functons, but it still wouldn't start the rig every time. The dealer replaced all the keys and all's been well ever since.

Editorial: If I could get rid of the JK's security sytem it would be outta there in a heartbeat. The only persons the security systems prevent from starting their cars are the owners, the crooks could care less. AEV, please provide a Procal function to shut it off!

Also saw that shifting to neutral to start may help.

Quick Reply: JK security issues?