Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Rubi 4door, pre-purchase questions

Old 01-25-2009, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The window sticker says 15 to 19 mpg, so I don't see why you would be shocked...

As for comparing a Jeep to a car for fuel mileage; apples to oranges

The JK should get close to the same mileage that your WJ got (unless you had the 4.7L).

I would also say that if something bothers you about a vehicle when you are test driving it, it will really bother you after the "new" feeling wears off...
Old 01-25-2009, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the comments.

I do understand that its not exacly aerodynamic.

My WJ after doing the new gearing only got like 12mpg. :-( I know that the sticker said 14-19 for the JK but I was expecting the 19ish on the hwy, lol.

As far as purpose I want it for the fun factor. We had alot of fun in the WJ and if im getting another SUV I want something as capable as what im replacing. The WJ was also hands down the best winter vehicle we've ever owned. There was no snow too tall and no hill too icy to climb. In addition to taking off great it also stopped great in the snow (unlike my Deville which is like emergency stopping a freight train).

I think after seeing everybodys post I will probably go with the Jeep I found that has the dual top group. Chrysler is starting the employee pricing tomorrow so that should take another 2kish off making it priced comparably to the one w/half doors.

So was I reading the geat specs right in that the 4th gear on the auto was lower than the 6th gear on the stick, meaning the auto would have lower RPMs?

Here are the two im looking at:

http://www.newcenturydodge.net/new-i...f557596baa296f

http://www.virtualautolot.com/val/de...GA69158L630790
Old 01-25-2009, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

the MPG computer needs to be reset, ie hold the button down til it resets in the MPG mode, to show you more accurate hwy mileage. when you do that, it will climb up to about 20 at around 65 to 70 MPH on the hwy. the 14 reading is accumaltive with probably a lot of stop and go driving. the jk gets shitty mileage for the power but the hwy mileage isn't so bad. i second the dual top/ full doors jk.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Yep I did do that and it was still in the 14-15.5 range on level ground thats why I was so concerned.

The other thing that was mentioned was to not go by the electronic readout. I can say that it was accuracte though bc I used nearly a tank of gas and divided by the mileage they were both pretty much the same.

I do think Im gonna go w/dual top group. Just hope that tomorrow it comes down another 1500-2k so I can get it.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jpaecorr
So was I reading the geat specs right in that the 4th gear on the auto was lower than the 6th gear on the stick, meaning the auto would have lower RPMs?
Yep right up until the point you hit a 3 degree grade it downshifts to 3rd, unlocks the converter and your 2000 rpms spike to 3500 at highway speeds.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JPop
Yep right up until the point you hit a 3 degree grade it downshifts to 3rd, unlocks the converter and your 2000 rpms spike to 3500 at highway speeds.
So your saying definetly dont go w/auto trans?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with everyone, I would skip out on the 1/2 doors. If its nice out, just take the doors off (they are pretty heavy and having 4 does not make storage easy). I have a soft top here in Chicago without any issues. I'd save the cash on the dual top (IMHO). The soft is far more quiet than my TJ's. I can easily use a bluetooth headset on my cell phone.

With the top down, I can use my cell if the door are on with the windows up. Gas mileage depends on how you drive it. If you like blazing away at 75-80, you are going to burn up some gas. If you take it easy, you can get 18-20mpg (at lease I can). I drive 60 miles a day.

I have two small children and their only complaint is getting in/out of the jeep (I have a 3" lift). Once the jeep warms up, they have never complained about being cold. Wife does not care for the seats compared to her van, but when its nice out and the top is down, she seems to not mind

Hope that helps,

Matt
Old 01-25-2009, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Good luck with your purchase!

A couple notes:

•I think you/your family would be happier with full doors - in terms of noise & warmth.

•I'd say to expect more in the 6yr range (or more if you cycle it out seasonally & take care of it in season)

•In addition to a separate heater for the back, you can add rear heated seats.
This will be a nice bonus for passengers back there as long as they're not in child seats.

•You could probably swap your BFG mud tires for BFG AT's and squeak a little more mileage out but still have a solid tire.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Junkie

I'm the wrong guy to ask about automatic and manual transmissions. With my wife and I over the last 20 years we have had 2 of 16 vehicles with automatics. When the choice is available, the first one out of the drive/garage is always the manual. In an underpowered vehicle like the JK isn't something I would look forward to. The tales of others in this forum and the immediacy of gear changes for larger tires with the automatic make it very undesirable. That stops short of the issues with parasitic loss of power through the torque converter until it locks up.

The bigger question is what does the wife think?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

[Q
UOTE=JPop;912013]I'm the wrong guy to ask about automatic and manual transmissions. With my wife and I over the last 20 years we have had 2 of 16 vehicles with automatics. When the choice is available, the first one out of the drive/garage is always the manual. In an underpowered vehicle like the JK isn't something I would look forward to. The tales of others in this forum and the immediacy of gear changes for larger tires with the automatic make it very undesirable. That stops short of the issues with parasitic loss of power through the torque converter until it locks up.

The bigger question is what does the wife think?[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by this? (I do know the minivan engine isn't exacly a powerhouse):
In an underpowered vehicle like the JK isn't something I would look forward to

Wife doesn't care stck or auto, her Civic is a 5spd so she can drive either. She also won't ever get the Jeep in any stickysituations like me :-)

Quick Reply: JK Rubi 4door, pre-purchase questions