Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK - Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier

Old 06-03-2008, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK - Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but here goes...

I'm trying to find a good rear bumper / tire carrier that is "Made in the USA" and does not rattle.

I was looking at the Warn bumper. But I'm not sure if it is "Made in the USA" and where would my High Lift Jack would mount? And does it rattle...

Or is their a better solution?

Thanks,
David
Old 06-03-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default bumper

I'am installing the mopar bumper/tire carrier. it seems to be a pretty good product. I'm no finished yet but I dont think is going to rattle. it came with some extra parts that are not included in the instructions, so may be they redesign a little to make it better than the first ones they made.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

shrockworks should be coming out with theirs in a couple of months
Old 06-03-2008, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

i like PJ, thats what im gonna get idont think it rattles
Old 06-03-2008, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepik
shrockworks should be coming out with theirs in a couple of months
Ehh it looks ok, don't like the fat tie-in to the rear fenders, do like their spare tire carrier cad drawings, will be unique.

LOD has a really nice setup, good tie-in to the rear fenders, protected, heavy duty, no rattles and they are available without all the whining about "wheres my shrockworks stuff"

Right now for me it's a tossup of a custom local build, LOD or possibly Shrocks if they ever get it in production.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:15 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm planning on getting a RockHard bumper/tire carrier in a month or two. I haven't actually seen one for a JK in person but a couple of guys around here with TJ's have them and really like them. I like the fact that they offer carriers for a couple of Jerry cans and a rack above the tire. I thought they were the only ones offering that but I see from the pics above, and visiting their website, that LOD also offers them.

RockHard is more expensive but I'll probably stay with them. My RH rocker guards are on the truck and RH front bumper is at the powder coater and will ship Friday.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
Ehh it looks ok, don't like the fat tie-in to the rear fenders, do like their spare tire carrier cad drawings, will be unique.

they have a stubby rear for you gay fenders

also if you think LOD is rattle free and doesnt have any issues you got a surprise coming at you

do some reading about LOD reviews
Old 06-03-2008, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepik
they have a stubby rear for you gay fenders

also if you think LOD is rattle free and doesnt have any issues you got a surprise coming at you

do some reading about LOD reviews
Holy wow who pissed in your cheerios this morning

you gay fenders? ....ohhhh you mean "your gay fenders"?? ok...umm gee thanks???

News Flash...I never said they were rattle free, someone else posted that, just said I liked them is all
Old 06-03-2008, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi David,
I have a Nates4X4 heavy duty rear bumper and I really like it. He builds two different types of rear bumpers for the JK, and its built in the USA.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Nates4x4 front and really like it. High quality work. I'm running a Rock Hard rear. It's a monster, but yes it rattles. I don't know how much of it is me and how much is the bumper. I haven't really spent much time looking for the cause. I'd think without maintenance and constant tweaking, most of the bumper/tire carrier setups are going to give you a rattle. Regardless of the design, the physics of it puts a lot of strain on two points with the weight of the tire/wheel wanting to either lever into or away from the Jeep. The Rock Hard is pretty quiet on the road, it's when I first leave the pavement that I hear it. Once the pucker factor starts increasing, I forget all about it.

Quick Reply: JK - Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier