Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

The JK rake...what is it?

Old 11-12-2009, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The JK rake...what is it?

The JK rake? What is it actually? Is it caused by the suspension? or would a body lift fix it? I'm guessing that the "fix" is really in the suspension parts. And that the body lift cannot really be practically done by multiple puck thicknesses. This rake was probably put in for aerodynamic reasons.....though probably not too effective. Thoughts?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:45 AM
JK Junkie

It's there for both aero purposes and to accommodate a payload in the storage area. Place about 600 lbs of weight in the back and it's miraculously gone.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

It's suspension -- the rear springs have a too high load rate; the front springs load rate is too low. Which ever the reason, it's the coils/springs. Some JK's for some reason come off the lot with noticeable rakes, others don't. Most rakes are heavily effected by aftermarket bumpers and a winch.

A body lift nor a budget boost will fix this problem -- excluding the Teraflex leveling kit. Ultimate fix is a new suspension, or just a 1" puck spacer up front.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JPop
It's there for both aero purposes and to accommodate a payload in the storage area. Place about 600 lbs of weight in the back and it's miraculously gone.
Yeah...he could just ride him a fat woman around back there all the time.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:31 AM
JK Super Freak

It's ugly. That's what it is.

Sadly, because of my rear bumper/tire carrier and tire I have reverse rake by about 3/4 of and inch.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Yupp same here I put my rugged ridge rear bumper and tire carrier on and it killed my perfect level stance. Not sure what the proper fix is.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:50 AM
JK Junkie

After loading up the rear with a truck box, lots of tools, fluids, and spare parts (shafts, driveshafts, tie rods, etc.) the JK has reverse rake now. Front sits about 3/4"-1" higher.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

adjustable coil overs.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Measure from the ground to the pinch seam right behind the front fender and right before the rear fender. It will probably be 3/4" lower in front. If that is the case, put a 3/4" leveling spacer in the front, and be done with it.

The Rough Country budget boost lifts the front 2 1/2" and 2" in the rear to reduce the rake.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

I hate the rake. I can't believe they build them this way. Since the vast majority of jeeps are bought by non-off roaders, I guess its just smart marketing to have the rake. It makes the jeep look less rugged, and therefore more appealing to soccer moms.

My jeep had a rake, right off the lot. I added a BB, still had rake. I added front and rear bumpers and a winch, then I REALLY had a rake. I had to add 3" teraflex coils up front to level out. Sits perfectly now.

Quick Reply: The JK rake...what is it?