Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Poor Performance

Old 06-03-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doc_D

If you want a fast car buy one. In my opinion the jeep is right on the money powerwise. It's fine to say "I want more power". I've said that about every car I've owned. But I think it's wrong to call it a poor performer. I think the 3.8 moves it along just fine. Although maybe the 42RLE programming is terrible and that's why I don't understand all the complaints. But I think with the 6 speed it's got decent power for what it is.

If you are hell bent on more horsepower, personally I'd be looking to do an engine swap before a supercharger. I'd probably try to track down a wrecked grand cherokee with a newer 4.7.
Well, said.

I to have had some fast cars and trucks in my time. I find my wifes 6 speed unlimited has enough jam for passing on the highway since we broke 10,000 km on the motor. I was a little harsh at first on the motor but since driving it and the motor slowly losing up, I have enjoyed the power it has and I actually catch myself going under the speed limit at times.... especially on hot & sunny days with the top down.

The JK is no hot rod, but it is damn fun to drive and I enjoy driving it and I have gotten more comments and looks driving our JK than any of my past muscle cars.

If I wanted a hot rod Jeep I would have bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am completely happy with the power/performance. Course I did own a YJ with a 2.5L 4banger. I was happy with that too because it was a jeep. I only had 31's on it though. My friend had a 74 cj5 with the 304 and a 3 speed. It was slow, loud, and got terrible gas mileage. His dad had an 84(?)cj5 with the straight 6 and it was/is slow, loud, and gets terrible gas mileage.

So, I guess I wasn't expecting good gas mileage, a lot of power, and great performance. I was expecting a removable top and great offroad performance. So, I am plenty happy with the jeep. I can't say it has "poor performance" since it performs like it was intended, in fact it seems to have exceeded my expectations so far.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

3 words....."It's A Jeep"
Old 06-03-2008, 08:05 PM
SJG
JK Newbie

When I first got my JK about three months ago, I was more than a little disappointing in the freeway performance. I'm finding that over time I have adjusted my driving style, and the Jeep has broken in like a great pair of sneakers.

I previously owned a 4wd Toyota Tundra Limited. The Tundra was well refined and had lots of straight-line performance, pulled my boat well, had adequate off-road performance, but left me feeling a little insecure when driving through sand, mud, or water.

The Jeep comes into its own as soon as you get off the pavement. It feels sure-footed, and definitely has the respect of other lesser off-road vehicle owners. There is plenty of power on the freeway, you just might have to stomp on it to get ahead of traffic (makes a lot of noise but the power band is in the 4-5K rpm range). The Jeep even pulls my boat well, as long as I'm content to keep it under 65 mph. I have really grown to love my Jeep, and find the stock performance to be more than adequate.

My advise is to drive your Jeep for at least a few months at least before dumping a bunch of money into making it go faster. With gas prices where they are, your pocket book will thank you for it.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Power is plenty enough for me for the trails. However, I have to travel the darn highway to get there. This is where the JK sucks.

Quick Reply: JK Poor Performance