Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Poor Performance

Old 06-02-2008, 01:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
yea.......CAI, throttle body riser, chip, headers, and exhaust is about all you can do. Other than that, if you want power, you might consider and engine swap, or go for the Hemi.
For GOD'S SAKE!!!!!

Why on EARTH would you recommend a Throttle Body Spacer on a Sequential Multiport Fuel Injected Engine?

There is no possible why for it to help, period. (Unless a potential whistling noise is desirable)

Don't people TEST DRIVE things anymore before spending their money?

Old 06-02-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by JK-Fire
If you do lift it then do yourself a favor and have gears put in it that should put you back to stock and give you better ground clearance.
I have NO idea how the new gears would affect ground clearance....is this a typo?

Old 06-02-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Spend your money on tires, wheels and a lift if you want to make a real difference.
That will make a REAL difference alright... for the worse!!!

By the sound of his post, he is trying to improve the performance of the engine, not slow it down even more
Old 06-02-2008, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TEEJ
I have NO idea how the new gears would affect ground clearance....is this a typo?

What i meant to pass on was that a lift would affect the performance that much further. And a gear swap would put it back to stock performance. As for the lift it would increase ground clearance.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

I love that posting about drilling the mirrors, in the mean-time I will fold the mirrors back when I head to the freeway.

JKetron
Old 06-02-2008, 01:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yetibear
What about a new bumper and winch!

That's good, too.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:58 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TEEJ
For GOD'S SAKE!!!!!

Why on EARTH would you recommend a Throttle Body Spacer on a Sequential Multiport Fuel Injected Engine?

There is no possible why for it to help, period. (Unless a potential whistling noise is desirable)

Don't people TEST DRIVE things anymore before spending their money?

Wanna bet there's not a way for it to help??? Drill and tap it for nitrous jets. LMAOROTF!!! Gotchya!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Eracer76
That will make a REAL difference alright... for the worse!!!

By the sound of his post, he is trying to improve the performance of the engine, not slow it down even more

Nothing I said will slow it down at all.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 6 speed 2 door with 4.10s. It's no rocket ship but I think it's fine for what it is. People make it sound like they're driving a yugo or something.

I'm currently driving a Honda S2000 (13 second car). My fun car before that was an 11 second WRX (big turbo, injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, full catless exhaust, etc, etc), my fun car before that was a 1971 Z28 w/ 454. And my fun car before that was a Firehawk. Before that a CBR900RR (crotch rocket). I also used to race a Formula 500 in the SCCA and 100 cc piston port karts before that.

If you want a fast car buy one. In my opinion the jeep is right on the money powerwise. It's fine to say "I want more power". I've said that about every car I've owned. But I think it's wrong to call it a poor performer. I think the 3.8 moves it along just fine. Although maybe the 42RLE programming is terrible and that's why I don't understand all the complaints. But I think with the 6 speed it's got decent power for what it is.

If you are hell bent on more horsepower, personally I'd be looking to do an engine swap before a supercharger. I'd probably try to track down a wrecked grand cherokee with a newer 4.7.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Doc_D
I have a 6 speed 2 door with 4.10s. It's no rocket ship but I think it's fine for what it is. People make it sound like they're driving a yugo or something.

I'm currently driving a Honda S2000 (13 second car). My fun car before that was an 11 second WRX (big turbo, injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, full catless exhaust, etc, etc), my fun car before that was a 1971 Z28 w/ 454. And my fun car before that was a Firehawk. Before that a CBR900RR (crotch rocket). I also used to race a Formula 500 in the SCCA and 100 cc piston port karts before that.

If you want a fast car buy one. In my opinion the jeep is right on the money powerwise. It's fine to say "I want more power". I've said that about every car I've owned. But I think it's wrong to call it a poor performer. I think the 3.8 moves it along just fine. Although maybe the 42RLE programming is terrible and that's why I don't understand all the complaints. But I think with the 6 speed it's got decent power for what it is.

If you are hell bent on more horsepower, personally I'd be looking to do an engine swap before a supercharger. I'd probably try to track down a wrecked grand cherokee with a newer 4.7.
I've had my fair share of quick cars too (as far as Chrysler products go my quickest was a 67 Plymounth GTX with a Hemi). I almost didn't buy a JK because of the engine but we rented one in Ouray, CO and had it up to 13,000 and always had planty of power.

So we bought an Unlimited Rubicon with auto. At 2400 miles it is quicker than my 98 TJ auto. And at 6000 plus feet the TJ falls on its face whereas the JK just scoots along. My wife recently made a 1800 mile trip from the Western Slope of Colorado to NE Nebraska which included a 12000 ft pass with no complaints about power and got 18.2 MPG for the trip. The TJ, going slower, would have done 13.

All the above was done before the RE 3.5 SF lift and 35" KM2's. But stock it did 75 MPH (by GPS) at 2250 RPM. It's getting 5.13's next week which should bring the RPM at 75 MPH to 2550. I understand that 2400 to 2700 is the sweet spot for power and milage and the 5.13's will put me right in the middle of it. Stock it came out of OD too easy on the freeway. I know for sure in a few weeks but my guess is that the best money spent on a JK power wise is going to be gears.

As far as off-road goes I've bent my share of axles doing stupid stuff (usually means going too fast and too heavy on the load pedal) in the past and the JK has enough power to do what needs to be done. But then I'm a bit older now too.....

Quick Reply: JK Poor Performance