Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Poor Performance

Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Poor Performance

What can we do about the poor performance of the JK?

I understand there are some exhaust systems like Banks and that a CAI may help. But both of these are expense versus performance. Neither of the two choices can be felt in the drivers seat. A 5-10 hp increase is nothing...

I have seen a supercharger for 5K and about anywhere from 50-100 hp. seems to be a bit much in cost.

What other solutions are there to increase the performance and that are cost effective in general terms?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

i dont have a major problem with the motor... gets me over the rocks and through the mud just fine. i am going to install a banks exhaust tonight or tomorrow tho. and a CAi in the near future
Old 06-02-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi

yea.......CAI, throttle body riser, chip, headers, and exhaust is about all you can do. Other than that, if you want power, you might consider and engine swap, or go for the Hemi.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Question

Which CAI works/performs best with the new 3.8L engine?
Old 06-02-2008, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

200+ horsepower, lots of torque at the low end, 3500lb towing capacity, and the ability to cruise at 80+mph. . . . . seems like plenty of power to me. So its an engine that has been previously used for minivans and isn't all that sexy because of it, but it is a great balance between power and fuel efficiency.

But then again, I used to go wheeling in a 1968 Land Rover Series IIA that took me EVERYWHERE I ever wanted to go with just a 2.25 liter 4 cylinder engine with less than 70 hp and a top speed of about 50mph.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't let people talk you into wasting your money on headers. The JK already has them. Besides the blower and maybe the chip, there is not ONE SINGLE mod by itself that gives a seat of the pants difference.That in itself is enough to make me leave mine stock. By the time you DO add enough to feel, you'll have spent half a grand or more. Screw that. Spend your money on tires, wheels and a lift if you want to make a real difference.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Don't let people talk you into wasting your money on headers. The JK already has them. Besides the blower and maybe the chip, there is not ONE SINGLE mod by itself that gives a seat of the pants difference.That in itself is enough to make me leave mine stock. By the time you DO add enough to feel, you'll have spent half a grand or more. Screw that. Spend your money on tires, wheels and a lift if you want to make a real difference.
X2
Old 06-02-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
What about a new bumper and winch!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jketron
What can we do about the poor performance of the JK?

I understand there are some exhaust systems like Banks and that a CAI may help. But both of these are expense versus performance. Neither of the two choices can be felt in the drivers seat. A 5-10 hp increase is nothing...

I have seen a supercharger for 5K and about anywhere from 50-100 hp. seems to be a bit much in cost.

What other solutions are there to increase the performance and that are cost effective in general terms?
Drill the mirrors.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Performance Mods

If you do lift it then do yourself a favor and have gears put in it that should put you back to stock and give you better ground clearance.

Quick Reply: JK Poor Performance