Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Passenger Seatbelt

Old 11-17-2015, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
It's back together and I'm the jeep. Just won't retract or extend. I'll give them a call this week hopefully I can get it taken care of over thanksgiving break
Please let us know what they say.

Thank you,

Dale
Old 11-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Ronjenx,

That makes complete sense, and why you cant find one at a junkyard....and the price at the dealer. With the price I was going to go ahead and put in harnesses, which I don't really need but for the price I figured why not; I read up and asked some questions and was pretty well convinced bite the bullet for a factory belt.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I called the dealer today to try and get part number and prices.....boy did I pucker up for that one. Does anyone know if the 2012 belts will fit in a 2008? I know someone replacing his seatbelts with harnesses and I could potentially buy them off him.

Part#: 5km481dvae
Part#: 5kc661dvag

Guy I spoke with on the phone wasn't sure which part was for me because they were listed as "4wd" for the first one and "4wd or 2wd" for the second one.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've replaced both front seatbelts twice now (mud, water & dust) and I finally said screw it. Ended up getting new seats, harnesses & welded harness bar for the front. I DD my jeep and the harnesses aren't that bad, I run PRP harnesses with the shoulder pads and they're super comfortable even on long 15+ hour drives. I wouldn't run harnesses though without seats designed to run them.

If you see yourself getting the seatbelts dirty again it might just be worth it to upgrade now. Buying seatbelts once is a pain but buying them twice sucks even more. My dealer is friendly and gave me 30% off each time but even at that the price sucks.

My main reason for changing them out was both times they failed I was 3 hours away from home and drove home doorless with no seatbelts which is not ideal.

Just thought I would share my experience.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:05 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by ronjenx
That is true about the seat belt retractor. It contains a pyrotechnically activated gas generator. If the front airbags have been deployed, the seat belt tensioners have also been deployed. The seat belt tensioners are not intended for reuse and must be replaced following any front airbag deployment.

Before working on anything that involves the restraint systems, always disconnect the battery negative cable and wait 10 minutes for the system capacitor to lose it's charge.
Just wondering where there this pyrotechnics seatbelt actuator info comes from. My 07 doesn't have it.
They work just fine with the mechanical cam system that has saved countless lives.
If such an active system exists i don't want.
Flying forward and stopped by belt is good as it was.
Now imagine not only being restrained but multiply the negative Gs created by a charge that not only stops you but throughs you back at the same time.
Or is it that the mechanical anti-acceleration cam has been been replaced by a charge actuated extention stop pin.
Just asking how this is supposed to operate.
Is there wiring running to the retractor of said charged belts or is it integral in the ejection sea.....
Old 11-23-2015, 09:07 AM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

There are wires running to the belt, but I'm not sure of the purpose. I was lead to believe the actuator is in the tube looking thing on the side of the belt.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:17 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Just wondering where there this pyrotechnics seatbelt actuator info comes from. My 07 doesn't have it.
They work just fine with the mechanical cam system that has saved countless lives.
If such an active system exists i don't want.
Flying forward and stopped by belt is good as it was.
Now imagine not only being restrained but multiply the negative Gs created by a charge that not only stops you but throughs you back at the same time.
Or is it that the mechanical anti-acceleration cam has been been replaced by a charge actuated extention stop pin.
Just asking how this is supposed to operate.
Is there wiring running to the retractor of said charged belts or is it integral in the ejection sea.....
The info I posted comes from the 2008 factory service manual. Your 2007 should be the same, although I can't verify it.
The retractor in the belt doesn't pull hard enough to haul you back into the seat. It is designed to remove any slack in the belt before you start to move forward. The ratchet system that responds to g-forces is still in place. I can make mine (ratchet) work by slamming on the brakes.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:06 PM
Former Member

The info I posted comes from the 2008 factory service manual. Your 2007 should be the same, although I can't verify it.
The retractor in the belt doesn't pull hard enough to haul you back into the seat. It is designed to remove any slack in the belt before you start to move forward. The ratchet system that responds to g-forces is still in place. I can make mine (ratchet) work by slamming on the brakes.
OK so where does this active gas charge system myth come from?
Old 11-23-2015, 03:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
OK so where does this active gas charge system myth come from?
I guess I don't know what you are asking.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:39 AM
Former Member

I guess I don't know what you are asking.
Like I said I can't find any wires coming out of retractor which leads me to believe it's a totally mechanical system that isn't aware of anything else around the vehicle.

Quick Reply: JK Passenger Seatbelt