Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Passenger Seatbelt

Old 11-14-2015, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Passenger Seatbelt

I drove through about four feet of mud while at Rausch about a month ago. My passenger seatbelt immediately locked up. When I got back I took it apart and the ball bearing was caked in mud. I recently put it back together but it still isn't functioning properly. Rather then keep tinkering with my passengers safety, I would prefer just to purchase one. Does anyone know the part # for the assembly or where I can purchase the assembly online? I've looked on the mopar site and they don't have any diagrams or detailed descriptions, just lots of part #'s.

Thanks in advanced!
Old 11-15-2015, 10:07 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
I drove through about four feet of mud while at Rausch about a month ago. My passenger seatbelt immediately locked up. When I got back I took it apart and the ball bearing was caked in mud. I recently put it back together but it still isn't functioning properly. Rather then keep tinkering with my passengers safety, I would prefer just to purchase one. Does anyone know the part # for the assembly or where I can purchase the assembly online? I've looked on the mopar site and they don't have any diagrams or detailed descriptions, just lots of part #'s.

Thanks in advanced!
Tried a wrecking yard yet. Lots of totally unused seat belts never worn by the folks that don't or I mean didn't believe in using them.
It's my constitutional right to go through the window and kiss an oak tree at 69mph.
Was that my out loud voice?
Old 11-15-2015, 01:33 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

I shopped around quite a bit and no parts stores had any, all said it was a dealer item. Junk yard wouldn't sell one if the vehicle had been wrecked. I bit the bullet on the expensive factory belt.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:07 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Cuv
I shopped around quite a bit and no parts stores had any, all said it was a dealer item. Junk yard wouldn't sell one if the vehicle had been wrecked. I bit the bullet on the expensive factory belt.
Ah good catch. The wreckers my be doing a cya stand that maybe a seatbelt failed to save some one during a collision and don't want to be responsible for a second death due to failure. OH PULEEEASE.
Go. back and tell them you want it as a goat walking leash. It's not a seatbelt now.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmm...thought something like this is always covered and replaced for free by the dealer...federal safety issue.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cuv
How much?

Originally Posted by Dale36
Hmm...thought something like this is always covered and replaced for free by the dealer...federal safety issue.
Really? I've already taken it apart so idk if they would take it.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can't put it back together?

Seems a phone call to a dealer wound not hurt. Just tell them you have a broken seatbelt and would like it replaced.

Last edited by Dale36; 11-16-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dale36
Can't put it back together?

Seems a phone call to a dealer wound not hurt. Just tell them you have a broken seatbelt and would like it replaced.
It's back together and I'm the jeep. Just won't retract or extend. I'll give them a call this week hopefully I can get it taken care of over thanksgiving break
Old 11-17-2015, 02:24 AM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

I tried getting them to replace it but that was a no go. In an accident, there's supposed to be a gas charge that can fire in the assembly forcing the belt to retract to help hold you against the seat, so if that's a true statement it may be another reason you can't get one from a junkyard. This will be my second replacement, a friend gave me the first one. I think mine fails due to less use than the driver side and the dust and dirt that builds up in it.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuv
I tried getting them to replace it but that was a no go. In an accident, there's supposed to be a gas charge that can fire in the assembly forcing the belt to retract to help hold you against the seat, so if that's a true statement it may be another reason you can't get one from a junkyard. This will be my second replacement, a friend gave me the first one. I think mine fails due to less use than the driver side and the dust and dirt that builds up in it.
That is true about the seat belt retractor. It contains a pyrotechnically activated gas generator. If the front airbags have been deployed, the seat belt tensioners have also been deployed. The seat belt tensioners are not intended for reuse and must be replaced following any front airbag deployment.

Before working on anything that involves the restraint systems, always disconnect the battery negative cable and wait 10 minutes for the system capacitor to lose it's charge.

Quick Reply: JK Passenger Seatbelt