Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes

Old 06-22-2010, 01:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
That is when mine all started when I updated about 6 or 7 weeks ago....
I re-tuned again last night using the Superchips pedal map, no pinging as of right now but I havent had the opporunity to drive very far either. When I would rev it up to about 2200 rpm while in neutral it would start to knock when the revs dropped down, it was almost like the jeep wanted to stop running then it would start to knock. I hadnt noticed anything prior to yesterday when the vehicle was in motion, soon as I heard the knocking though I said screw that. Hopefully they come up with a fix in the very near future.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Wilky
it's a little late....but welcome home and thanks for your service.
thanks! and i am enjoying plenty
Old 06-22-2010, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
You might want to wait on that as the guys at Superchips are working on a fix....
+1. You should also open up a trouble ticket with Superchips support and see if they can help.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ZBoater
Aside from the pinging, did you notice any difference when you went back to stock?

Any 93 octane available you can try?

And when was the last time you updated your device over the Internet?
No 93 here, but I'm so high up that the 91 should suffice, especially on a tune designed for 87. I updated the device about a month ago, it had the pinging issue before and after. As far as any difference, the only thing outwardly noticeable to me is the firm shifts are gone. I drove up I-70 from Denver to where I live, and the Jeep behaved about the same as with the tune in terms of overall power (ie, not much, but just enough to keep it moving with the flow of traffic).

My rig is stock and going to stay that way, so I really don't need this thing. Its a neat product, I'm not knocking it, however I'll probably just get what I can for it in the classified section and use the funds for something else. If it "just worked" I'd leave it be, but pumping premium into the Jeep for very little difference in performance running an 87 tune just isn't worthwhile to me. When I heard the pinging again up here, I just bagged it.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mudflap
No 93 here, but I'm so high up that the 91 should suffice, especially on a tune designed for 87. I updated the device about a month ago, it had the pinging issue before and after. As far as any difference, the only thing outwardly noticeable to me is the firm shifts are gone. I drove up I-70 from Denver to where I live, and the Jeep behaved about the same as with the tune in terms of overall power (ie, not much, but just enough to keep it moving with the flow of traffic).

My rig is stock and going to stay that way, so I really don't need this thing. Its a neat product, I'm not knocking it, however I'll probably just get what I can for it in the classified section and use the funds for something else. If it "just worked" I'd leave it be, but pumping premium into the Jeep for very little difference in performance running an 87 tune just isn't worthwhile to me. When I heard the pinging again up here, I just bagged it.
That is very odd, as I had a completely different experience, but I live in Florida at sea level. Maybe you can sell it and put that money towards a new set of gears!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Didn't work for me...89 Octane fuel with 87 Tune...still pinged. You will notice it more if you have the top off and windows down or doors off. I found between 1st to 3rd gear and starting out or putting load on the motor (uphills) is when it pings. From reading other members reporting pinging they are driving 6spds.
same for me as soon as i got home i reprogrammed and hasn't pinged since, but I am keeping an ear out for it! I would have to agree it did ping underloads.. passing, 4 wheeling, starting off ect.......

Last edited by bahadden; 06-22-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I tried the towing tune for a bit and I still had pinging. Trying the milage tune next. I am getting kinda pissed. Any news from Superchips?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Superchips Representative

The pinging issue is being addressed on a case by case basis since it is not affecting every JK owner tuned with the product. If you haven't contacted customer service and started a tech ticket on the issue we won't be able to assist you in getting ths issue resolved.

Please contact customers service at your earliest convenience at 888-227-2447.

Thanks,

Scott

Originally Posted by ElyasWolff
I tried the towing tune for a bit and I still had pinging. Trying the milage tune next. I am getting kinda pissed. Any news from Superchips?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

I called to start a trouble ticket today. I was told I would get a call back after talking to the engineers. Thanks scott hopefully this works it out. its pretty hot in texas, but i miss the tranny shift point and the extra throttle i got i only got like 16mpg on the trip from killeen to houston last night (yay for rain) and with the superchips installed i was doing at least 3-4 better, cant wait to get the issue resolved.

PINGING SUCKS!
Old 07-02-2010, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Regional crappy gas? Mine is a non-pinger.

Flash

Quick Reply: JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes