Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes

Old 06-18-2010 | 03:45 PM
JK Freak

I've been considering getting one of these for a while now but seeing this thread has sold me. Products will never be 100% but when a manufacturer addresses issues in this manner it's GOLD!
Old 06-19-2010 | 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I work long hours, so I wont be able to open a service call until Friday.
My FP serial # is 1477070

I have been having knocking for about 2 months. It happens above 3k RPM.
I am running the 87 octane tune with 89 octane gas and still have some knocking.
The only engine mods I have are a drop in high flow filter and NGK sparkplugs.

If I was running a Megasquirt on my Jeep I would start by pulling 2* of timing above 60KPA of manifold pressure.
I don’t know how advanced the factory ECU is on the JK, but most are set up to start pulling timing after a set number of cycles while sensing knock. Maybe it is not very aggressive, or maybe we have already exceeded the amount of timing the ECU can pull.

One question: Does the towing tune have less spark advance in the higher RPMs?

Last edited by ElyasWolff; 06-19-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2010 | 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default Crawl setting

I know that ths does not pertain to the pinging thread, but I would like to know if I set my jeep for the Crawl setting, would there be any problems if I drove it in 2 wheel drive or 4 high? Some of the trail heads are a few miles away from the airdown areas in which I would be driving on hardball roads vice soft sand/dirt.
Old 06-19-2010 | 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
I've been considering getting one of these for a while now but seeing this thread has sold me. Products will never be 100% but when a manufacturer addresses issues in this manner it's GOLD!
X2 here... Just awesome to see a Manufacturer being proactive and not hiding under a rock at the first sign of something possibly not being right. Kudo's to Superchips. I hope everything works out to all involved.
Old 06-21-2010 | 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Add me to list of users that are having issues with pinging/knocking. I didnt have an issue for almost 2 months, a cpl of days ago I updated so that I could get the option to have the stock/moderate/superchips pedal option. Ever since then i've been getting the pinging/knocking even using 89 octane with 87 tune, so i've set the JK back to stock for now. I'll try re-programming and using the Superchips pedal map as opposed to the moderate to see if it makes a difference and just until I can burn the almost full tank of 89 octane I have then revert back to stock, anyone noticed if we can change tire size without being tuned?
Old 06-21-2010 | 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

My only complaint is I got 14mpg on my last tank.
Old 06-21-2010 | 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Mine was pinging on the 87 tune using 87 octane in Dallas. I switched to 89 octane gas and it went away. Last week I moved to Colorado and now live at an elevation of 7700'. It pings under heavy throttle with the 87 tune even with the local "premium" 91 octane. I returned it to stock today, so I may just sell the unit I guess.
Old 06-21-2010 | 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Mine was pinging on the 87 tune using 87 octane in Dallas. I switched to 89 octane gas and it went away. Last week I moved to Colorado and now live at an elevation of 7700'. It pings under heavy throttle with the 87 tune even with the local "premium" 91 octane. I returned it to stock today, so I may just sell the unit I guess.
Aside from the pinging, did you notice any difference when you went back to stock?

Any 93 octane available you can try?

And when was the last time you updated your device over the Internet?
Old 06-21-2010 | 09:41 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Adam3612
Add me to list of users that are having issues with pinging/knocking. I didnt have an issue for almost 2 months, a cpl of days ago I updated so that I could get the option to have the stock/moderate/superchips pedal option. Ever since then i've been getting the pinging/knocking even using 89 octane with 87 tune, so i've set the JK back to stock for now.
That is when mine all started when I updated about 6 or 7 weeks ago....
Old 06-22-2010 | 12:34 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mudflap
You might want to wait on that as the guys at Superchips are working on a fix....

Quick Reply: JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes