Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes

Old 06-16-2010, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pinging sounds like a can of marbles.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan L
Pinging sounds like a can of marbles.
A can of marbles? Any marbles I ever played with came in some sort of little bag lol. How about when a bum/panhandler bugs you for change and you drop some in the little can he has when its empty?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just to throw in my experience. I have an auto and switched to the 89 tune after running the 87 for a while. Even on 87 octane gas I can floor it from a dead stop and no pinging up to 90MPH. I live in Florida so I don't have any long grades to pull up but so far so good.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cruzcode
I was going to wait until all mods were done, and then install the programmer. However, can I install it now, and then adjust for the mods that I make later? Or is this type of use not ideal for the Flashpaq?

Yes, Yes, Yes....install it. You'll be kicking yourself for waiting!
Old 06-18-2010, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Scott, it would be helpful if you knew what version of software was currently installed in the Superchips Tuner. Presently, when you plug it in to update, it always seems to download an update onto the tuner. Even if you just updated it, unplug it and plug it back in, it updates again. If you showed the current software version, or showed a message on the screen with says "you are using the current software version" it would help alot and offer peace of mind.

Flash
Old 06-18-2010, 01:26 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Adam3612
Like when a rock or something bounces off of your exhaust pipe and it makes that "ting" er "ping"? Is that the kind of noise it would make?
Pinging is just another word for "knocking". It actually sounds more like a knock than a ping. Knocking is the sound your engine makes under load usually when the timing is off a little. For instance......a person lives at a high altitude and has his engine tuned for a lower octane gas and all is good. Then he drives down to a lower altitude using the same octane gas without re-timing the engine, there is a good chance the engine would knock. Usually all the person would have to do is run a higher octane gas at lower altitudes and the engine wouldn't knock anymore.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

I run the Tow/haul mode (I feel the best torque) on regular octane and have never had any issues. Love it...Would never drive a JK with out it!
Old 06-18-2010, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Pinging is just another word for "knocking". It actually sounds more like a knock than a ping. Knocking is the sound your engine makes under load usually when the timing is off a little. For instance......a person lives at a high altitude and has his engine tuned for a lower octane gas and all is good. Then he drives down to a lower altitude using the same octane gas without re-timing the engine, there is a good chance the engine would knock. Usually all the person would have to do is run a higher octane gas at lower altitudes and the engine wouldn't knock anymore.
Thank you very much for clearing that up sir, in that case I have no pinging issues (knock on wood)
Old 06-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, too, have had this "knocking" noise before. I have heard a variety of responses as to whether or not this is bad for the engine. Nonetheless, it does seem to occur in the 87 octane setting (this is the one that i use 90% of the time), and seems to occur under stress at higher rpm's.

Any ideas out there yet, Scott? BTW, thanks for starting this thread!
Old 06-18-2010, 03:25 PM
JK Freak

I have very heavy pinking above 2.9k RPM all the way till shift on the 87 tune with 87/89/93 octane... i even added a methonal(off road only octane booster) addative and it did no good....

I put the Jeep back to stock and the pinging went away.

Info on the jeep its a 2007 JKU auto. I live in killeen tx (1015ft elevation at my airfield) and it started right after(i believe at least) the summer shipment in gas came out. After our first above 95 degree day.

I also have a K & N filter installed and a MPRB exhaust installed, it ran fine for about 3 weeks with the install then started pinging. the mods were installed on the car problem free before the SC install.

I went on block leave(just got back from the sandbox) and havent had a chance to call yet while iv been next to the car and the tuner...

Quick Reply: JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes