Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes

Old 10-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Superchips Representative

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have to return to stock to update the programmer online but you will need to retune the vehicle for the updates to take effect.

Scott

Originally Posted by bpic0518
I know it's probably on here but I've searched it and can't find it...do I have to return to stock to update my programmer or can I update with a tune installed??? Thanks for any help!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Superchips Representative

I think the reason why that feature is not an option currently is because it poses a safety issue. That being said I will forward your request in my latest report to management to see if there is a viable way to offer a solution that would still provide safety.

Scott

Originally Posted by Rubicon10
No pinging. It does run rich though. And I wish you guys would come up with a way to disable the ESP with it. If the superchips did that then you would control the market. IMO
Old 10-12-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bpic0518
I know it's probably on here but I've searched it and can't find it...do I have to return to stock to update my programmer or can I update with a tune installed??? Thanks for any help!!!
I called SC with that exact same question and I was told you "Do Not" have to return to stock.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today, I had to take my Jeep to the dealer for a water pump replacement and oil change. I tuned my Jeep back to stock and found that the popping/crackling from my Cherry Bomb extreme went away. The exhaust was suddenly so smooth. I am deaf, and I think it might mean that I was pinging the entire 3 months I had the Cherry Bomb Extreme. (87 tune on 89 octane/sometimes 93)

I retuned to 87 Tune after my Jeep was ready and it seems that the pinging is not present right now. I hope it stays that way. I would call Customer Service at SC, but I can't hear on the phone...
I am considering trying the Tow Tune with 93 as soon as my tank runs dry (89 in there now).

Thoughts? Maybe the exhaust was just more "aggressive" sounding due to the superchips?

Last edited by IcyFridge; 11-08-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

my exhaust definitely sounds a bit more throaty with the SC.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 PM
JK Newbie

Hi Mate,

I am in Australia, YES I do get pinging with the tuner... I currently run 87 tune (the lowest tune you have) and Australian 98RON (your 95RON, our 95RON is USA 91 RON and our 91RON is USA 87RON... confused?) if I dont run AUS98RON I get pining... its a PIA to be honest... Another guy I know here in Western Australia (VICTOR) also gets the pinging... so I am stuck on the one tune :(

Love to hear if there is any solution... I cant call you either which sucks...

Originally Posted by Scott@Superchips
I have been hearing word from others that there might be some members here having pinging issues while Superchips tuned.

I wanted to be proactive with this so I am starting this thread to provide direction to those in need of assistance.

If anyone on the forum is currently experiencing pinging in their JK's while Superchips tuned we would like to hear about it. Please give customer service a call at 888-227-2447 to log a tech support trouble ticket so engineering can do some tracking on this.

Feel free to keep open communications with me as well. I am here to help!

Thanks for your continued support!

Scott
Old 03-26-2012, 12:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by craigperth
Hi Mate,

I am in Australia, YES I do get pinging with the tuner... I currently run 87 tune (the lowest tune you have) and Australian 98RON (your 95RON, our 95RON is USA 91 RON and our 91RON is USA 87RON... confused?) if I dont run AUS98RON I get pining... its a PIA to be honest... Another guy I know here in Western Australia (VICTOR) also gets the pinging... so I am stuck on the one tune :(

In the states we have RON+MON/2. MON is generally about 10% lower than RON, although there isn't a direct relation. So it's tough to say with any type of certainty what the US equivalent should be. You an call Superchips and get them to back off the timing a bit in their tunes if you experience pinging.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by craigperth
Hi Mate,

Superchips does offer some revised tuning to help with the pinging issues, but before trying them I would try to clean the carbon deposits from the engine, which definitely contribute to this. The obvious things to do are check your spark plugs and change the pcv valve, but I would also recommend running an in tank cleaner like seafoam, and one introduced directly in to the engine like Chrysler CCC. Change your driving habits some by keeping the rpm's higher when driving around, and get on it periodically to help prevent more build up. These things helped with my pinging issues

Quick Reply: JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes