Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes

Old 01-05-2011, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Wrangler
So if I'm driving "normal" and not hitting the skinny peddle excessively should I see better mileage with higher octane fuel? At current gas prices it would cost me an additional $8 (approx) to fill up with 91 vs 87 octane that I use now.
That seems to be the case because the higher octane burns more efficiently thus getting more miles per gallon. I know for a fact in my situation I'm getting better MPG with my superchips and 91 octane fuel.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Northern Wrangler
So if I'm driving "normal" and not hitting the skinny peddle excessively should I see better mileage with higher octane fuel? At current gas prices it would cost me an additional $8 (approx) to fill up with 91 vs 87 octane that I use now.
You will have to figure that out with a few tank fill ups (3-5) and document each fill/$/km's driven on each Octane 87 vs 91 and come up with some numbers to see if it's worth the extra $ for more power and MPG.

I know for a fact running 87 Octane on Tow tune gave me the same amt of power as the 87 Tune and gave me better MPG (1-1.5MPG better). I have not tried the 91 Octane as I am not going to be spending the extra $8/tank as I personally feel the HP gains and MPG will be minimal. Right now as we speak I am seeing 21-23 USMPG on tow tune all documented. My last few tanks I have dropped to 21 USMPG based on the colder temps we have seen and winter blend fuel. But in the summer we had a few tanks that the mileage was as high as 24 USMPG on tow mode...when my wife drove

EDIT: Also, I switched to tow tune from 87 tune due to the pinging. Once I switched to tow tune and still used 87 Octane no pinging.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 01-05-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Called Superchips and talked to Jason. He said there is an update all ready to go off of their site to accommodate a 2008 JK with 6spd manual. This update will affect all of the different tunes.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-05-2011, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rzrectd

That seems to be the case because the higher octane burns more efficiently thus getting more miles per gallon. I know for a fact in my situation I'm getting better MPG with my superchips and 91 octane fuel.
The octane rating has nothing to do with the efficiency of which fuel burns. The octane rating is the amount of resistance to combustion a fuel has.

This is why you have to run higher octane fuels in engines with high compression. Higher compression = higher combustion temps and that leads to pre-ignition (pinging) with lower octane fuels. When a high octane fuel is used, it takes a higher temp to ignite the fuel which is why it is used in high compression engines. You can also get pre-ignition (pinging) from advancing the timing too far and running a lower octane fuel.

If you are having no issues with running lower octane fuels and switch to high octane fuel, you are simply wasting money and sometimes even lowering performance. High octane does not equal more power.

Now, with the Flashpaq, if the 91 tune advances the timing more than the 87 tune to get more power then the higher octane is needed to combat pinging. And, based on other parameters of the 91 tune, it is very possible that it can develop more power while running more efficiently which will net more mpg. Some report that the higher mpg with the 91 tune (in the summer months) offsets the higher cost of the fuel.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Former Member

Default An idea

I know it's a bit off topic, but just wondering if there's any interest out there for the pedal sensitivity option to have the potential to be used without a tuning in only stock mode. I know that some guys (including myself) are getting turned off by the pinging, however, there are still some nice features on the flashpaq and I would like to keep it.

It would seem that if this "stock tune pedal response" option was available, then there would be no need to switch to something like the Sprintbooster, which I am considering doing. Also, if this tune is available, then those of us who are concerned about warranty issues can sleep a bit more soundly at night knowing that all we have "altered" is the pedal response.

It just seems that if "tunability" is the paramount goal of Superchips, then offering the pedal response for the stock tune would offer guys more options and save some people from the "pinging" headache.

So, what do you think...is there an interest for such an option?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2011, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you guys this forum is awesome and it was a great help to build my jeep..

Now back to topic.. I ordered Superchips tuner last night but I like to know if this programmer support export jeeps. Cause I’m in the middle east now and my wrangler unlimited looks little different than the us version and speedometer is in kilometers?
And please some advice about which tuning should I go with because we have 93 and 91 octane and I need some extra hp and torque
Old 01-23-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jdubb75
The octane rating has nothing to do with the efficiency of which fuel burns. The octane rating is the amount of resistance to combustion a fuel has.

This is why you have to run higher octane fuels in engines with high compression. Higher compression = higher combustion temps and that leads to pre-ignition (pinging) with lower octane fuels. When a high octane fuel is used, it takes a higher temp to ignite the fuel which is why it is used in high compression engines. You can also get pre-ignition (pinging) from advancing the timing too far and running a lower octane fuel.

If you are having no issues with running lower octane fuels and switch to high octane fuel, you are simply wasting money and sometimes even lowering performance. High octane does not equal more power.

Now, with the Flashpaq, if the 91 tune advances the timing more than the 87 tune to get more power then the higher octane is needed to combat pinging. And, based on other parameters of the 91 tune, it is very possible that it can develop more power while running more efficiently which will net more mpg. Some report that the higher mpg with the 91 tune (in the summer months) offsets the higher cost of the fuel.
X2
Old 03-25-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Got last on lot 2010 JKU Rubi Auto for a song, 4" lift & 35" Pro Comp's, 2700 miles so far, installed FP, set to 93 performance, with half tank 87 & 91 mixed, Nailed it on back street, heard ping, I EXPECTED THAT, Ran up the freeway couple miles, did a few on ramps at WOT, basically ran the piss outta the thing, no ping anymore. I think the things gotta learn my way of driving and see full tanks of 93. Bottom line, if your gonna run the high performance setting then run the expenxive stuff at the pump. I'll report back if after a few weeks and a few tanks of the expensive stuff and I have anymore pinging, I don't think I will though cause just with that driving it went away.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Updating programmer

I know it's probably on here but I've searched it and can't find it...do I have to return to stock to update my programmer or can I update with a tune installed??? Thanks for any help!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

No pinging. It does run rich though. And I wish you guys would come up with a way to disable the ESP with it. If the superchips did that then you would control the market. IMO

Quick Reply: JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes