Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes

Old 12-10-2010, 12:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

which tunes would you guys recommend to save the most fuel with the best performance? The pinging issue is a little intimidating, but i'm still excited.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Superchips Representative

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My GM has asked that I post this statement offering info on what we have determined is the root of the pinging issues some are experiencing.

Superchips has investigated the pinging issues on 2007-10 JK 3.8L vehicles in the field. Through careful examination and customer feedback Superchips has determined that the 3.8L JK pinging issues consist of a combination of exhaust heat shield rattle, seasonal fuel additives
(blends) and California emissions calibrations that extend to several other states (Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington; Arizona, Florida, and New Mexico are pending). These issues can also extend to international markets where fuel blends are unique and not tested.

The addition of Superchips performance tuning may magnify the issue for the CA emissions-equipped vehicles and/or fuels in question. To combat pinging we have created some “special-case” calibrations that can be “one shot” downloaded into the product to resolve this issue. Those experiencing pinging while Superchips-tuned can contact Superchips customer service at 888-227-2447 to try these special settings.

If I can be of any future assistance do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Happy Holidays to you and your family from the Superchips team!

Scott

Last edited by Scott@Superchips; 12-20-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just came across this theard. I do have pinging sounds on a 2008 2dr with 44k miles(started at 33k back in Sept when i put on 35's and flashpaq) I just assumed it was because of the Milage Tune i was using. There was no differance between the Mileage and Crawl tune settings. It does not ping if i am heavy in the skinny pedal.

Is there now an update for it?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the 87 tune yesterday and noticed a pinging immediately if I go a little heavy on the gas, which I'm apt to do living in the mountains. I just figured I'd wait a fill up or two to see if it goes away. Maybe I'll try a different gas. If that doesn't work, I'll try a different tune.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:08 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Yes there is, give customer service a call at 888-227-2447. The rep will set you up with a custom file that you can download off the inrternet.

Please have your tuner SN handy when you call.

Scott

Originally Posted by The_Yeti
I just came across this theard. I do have pinging sounds on a 2008 2dr with 44k miles(started at 33k back in Sept when i put on 35's and flashpaq) I just assumed it was because of the Milage Tune i was using. There was no differance between the Mileage and Crawl tune settings. It does not ping if i am heavy in the skinny pedal.

Is there now an update for it?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Hmmm, I have a 07 that I recently put my superchip in and use the 91 tune with no pinging at all. I'm at almost 80,000 miles and was experiencing pinging a couple of months ago before I got my superchips and was using 89 octane gas so I upped it to 91 and sometimes 93 octane at fillups and that took care of the pinging issue for me so when I installed my superchips on Xmas day I immediately went to the 91 tune and still no pinging. I don't care what the manual says about 87 octane fuel, I use 91 which has more octane and so it burns better and I'm no mechanic but the jk runs smoother on the higher octane.
Why are people buying the superchips and using the 87 tune? I just ask since the purpose is to get a little more power out of our jk's and using 87 octane kinda defeats the purpose. Just my 2 cents guys. On a side note; I was getting about 176-180 miles on a tank of gas with my 35" bfg mt's and stock 3:21 gears and now with my superchips I went like 207 miles on a tank of gas using 91 octane and tune. The better the fuel burns the more miles and performance your gonna get I think since from what I've heard about the higher the octane the better the burn of that fuel. Again just my thoughts.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Rogue says "use the 91 tune"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-8227671.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	115277  
Old 01-05-2011, 05:39 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

I would say that the number one reason for a majority of drivers using lower grade fuels especially in the winter months is due to the increased cost of fuel. I think people are just trying to keep more $$ in their pockets especially when some had a big Christmas that they are still paying for. LOL

That being said, the major problems that we are noticing especially in those states that adopted CARB specific emissions rules are that those states are using blended fuels that have drastic effects on driveability and performance in stock and tuned vehicles especially in the lower octane ranges.

We have created custom files that are a free download for those experiencing those effects.

Scott

Originally Posted by rzrectd
Hmmm, I have a 07 that I recently put my superchip in and use the 91 tune with no pinging at all. I'm at almost 80,000 miles and was experiencing pinging a couple of months ago before I got my superchips and was using 89 octane gas so I upped it to 91 and sometimes 93 octane at fillups and that took care of the pinging issue for me so when I installed my superchips on Xmas day I immediately went to the 91 tune and still no pinging. I don't care what the manual says about 87 octane fuel, I use 91 which has more octane and so it burns better and I'm no mechanic but the jk runs smoother on the higher octane.
Why are people buying the superchips and using the 87 tune? I just ask since the purpose is to get a little more power out of our jk's and using 87 octane kinda defeats the purpose. Just my 2 cents guys. On a side note; I was getting about 176-180 miles on a tank of gas with my 35" bfg mt's and stock 3:21 gears and now with my superchips I went like 207 miles on a tank of gas using 91 octane and tune. The better the fuel burns the more miles and performance your gonna get I think since from what I've heard about the higher the octane the better the burn of that fuel. Again just my thoughts.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

I've only put about 600mi on my 08 after I installed
My superchips and 35" mudgrapplers and no pinging yet. Got it set to 87 tune now think I'll try the tow tune next
Old 01-05-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

So if I'm driving "normal" and not hitting the skinny peddle excessively should I see better mileage with higher octane fuel? At current gas prices it would cost me an additional $8 (approx) to fill up with 91 vs 87 octane that I use now.

Quick Reply: JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes