Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes

Old 06-06-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tls001
09 JKU with an auto, i have been running the 87 tune for over a year now and have never had any pinging. Works great.
X2. Never had pinging with the 87 tune
Old 06-16-2010, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I contacted customer support on my pinging issues. They have requested logging from my programmer. The rep was concerned about my E3 spark-plugs. Do any of you having the pinging issue run the E3 plugs? Superchips is suggesting factory plugs.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rfrogman
I contacted customer support on my pinging issues. They have requested logging from my programmer. The rep was concerned about my E3 spark-plugs. Do any of you having the pinging issue run the E3 plugs? Superchips is suggesting factory plugs.
Mine pings with the factory plugs...so, I don't know where they going with this one?
Old 06-16-2010, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the flashpaq and installed it 1 month ago. Ive never had any problems with it, but i dont think i've ever driven a vehicle with a ping noise. So i guess i wouldnt be able to identify what it soundes like. Hmmm....
Old 06-16-2010, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Firefighters_Axe
I bought the flashpaq and installed it 1 month ago. Ive never had any problems with it, but i dont think i've ever driven a vehicle with a ping noise. So i guess i wouldnt be able to identify what it soundes like. Hmmm....
I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm pretty much in tune with everything I drive so I notice absolutely anything unusual it may do, 2 months and no funny noises yet knock on wood. If you tuned to 87 try using 89 octane, that should solve any potential pinging and the performance might be a tad better.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cruzcode
However, can I install it now, and then adjust for the mods that I make later? Or is this type of use not ideal for the Flashpaq?
Yes, you can change tunes like you change underwear. You can tune now with your current gears and then retune when you get the new gears. Tuning takes all of 5 minutes, and you can make the choices in the menus very easily. Actually, it would be kinda cool to rune with your current gears and new tires, and have you do a before and after "seat of the pants" test.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

And, by the way, no pinging on mine. I've tried all 3 tunes (87/91/93) and am currently on 91. I think I am going back to 87 because I am not feeling a lot of difference between the three in daily city driving, so I'd rather save some mula...

The difference between stock and any of those three tunes, however, is NIGHT AND DAY!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ZBoater
And, by the way, no pinging on mine. I've tried all 3 tunes (87/91/93) and am currently on 91. I think I am going back to 87 because I am not feeling a lot of difference between the three in daily city driving, so I'd rather save some mula...

The difference between stock and any of those three tunes, however, is NIGHT AND DAY!!!
Pretty much my same experience, except I haven't tried the 93 tune. Tried the 91 tune with 91 octane. Currently using the 87 tune with 87 octane. No noticeable difference in performance between the two, but much better than stock. Never experienced any pining.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam3612
If you tuned to 87 try using 89 octane, that should solve any potential pinging and the performance might be a tad better.
Didn't work for me...89 Octane fuel with 87 Tune...still pinged. You will notice it more if you have the top off and windows down or doors off. I found between 1st to 3rd gear and starting out or putting load on the motor (uphills) is when it pings. From reading other members reporting pinging they are driving 6spds.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Didn't work for me...89 Octane fuel with 87 Tune...still pinged. You will notice it more if you have the top off and windows down or doors off. I found between 1st to 3rd gear and starting out or putting load on the motor (uphills) is when it pings. From reading other members reporting pinging they are driving 6spds.
Like when a rock or something bounces off of your exhaust pipe and it makes that "ting" er "ping"? Is that the kind of noise it would make?

Quick Reply: JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes