Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes

Old 09-10-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=terrain;1835852]
Originally Posted by Scott@Superchips
I have been hearing word from others that there might be some members here having pinging issues while Superchips tuned.

I wanted to be proactive with this so I am starting this thread to provide direction to those in need of assistance.

If anyone on the forum is currently experiencing pinging in their JK's while Superchips tuned we would like to hear about it. Please give customer service a call at 888-227-2447 to log a tech support trouble ticket so engineering can do some tracking on this.

Feel free to keep open communications with me as well. I am here to help!

Thanks for your continued support!

I am currently running the 87 Octane program in my 2010 Wrangler Sport with no pinging issues. My area has 87,89 and 93 Octane gas. Thought about switching to the 93 program but since I am not having an issues at 87 I am hesitant to do so. I am sure there is more horsepower at 93 but the gas costs 30 cents per gallon more and I am not sure I would make up the difference in better MPG. So for now I am sticking to the 87 program at least until Superchips get a handle on these pinging issues. Please keep us updated what you think might be causing the pinging and how it can be corrected.
How is 93 octane 30 cents more a gallon? I travel all over the country and its always been 10cents between grades which would make 93 octane 20 cents more than 87. some stations sell 91 but that usually falls in a five cent increment between 89 and 93. Not to say some gas stations didn't spread the price a little more when gas was 4 bucks a gallon. Are people just using bad math?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had time to do a bit of driving. 150 miles since new ping tune.
87 tune with 91 fuel and temp mid 80's.

In town and around no problem.

Open roads with hills at speeds of 60-70 mph lots of ping audible and confirmed with tuner.
It looks like it can not take load.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

WOW what is chance that superchips would be able to give us a user defined tune like this:
Spark Adjustment
WOT Spark 1k-3.8k:
Allows user to adjust timing +/-10 degrees in the 1000-3800 rpm range
WOT Spark 4k-4.8k:
Allows user to adjust timing +/-10 degrees in the 4000-4800 rpm range
WOT Spark 5k-7k:
Allows user to adjust timing +/-10 degrees in the 5000-7000 rpm range

Fuel Adjustment
WOT Fuel 1k-3.8k
Allows user to adjust fuel +/- 20% in the 1000-3800 rpm range
WOT Fuel 4k-4.8k
Allows user to adjust fuel +/- 20% in the 4000-4800 rpm range
WOT Fuel 5k-7k
Allows user to adjust fuel +/- 20% in the 5000-7000 rpm range
Old 09-14-2010, 12:40 AM
JK Newbie

You're kidding right, now you have to tune your own Jeep???
Old 09-14-2010, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by vans
You're kidding right, now you have to tune your own Jeep???
At least it will be me then that is messing it up and not them
Old 09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

I think my manifold shield may be rattling(the noise was there before the tune)

I thought I heard some pinging during my first couple of runs with the tune but I believe it has since gone away.

Do I have to be flooring it up a hill(under load) to notice the pinging or can I just floor it in park?
Old 09-16-2010, 05:54 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Superchips Representative

We believe we have developed a field solution to the pinging issues some customers are experience in certain geographies. The reports are seem to be going down which might also be related to the various ‘summer blends’ of fuel available throughout the country (or throughout the globe for our friends in Australia and Brazil).

A small team of beta testers have been evaluating the new calibrations, but we’re also finding some of the issues are related to heat shield rattle, not pinging. We have had a customer report to us on our forums that the noise assumed as pinging was actually traced to a loose heat shield on the exhaust system https://www.superchips.com/forum/vie...hp?f=18&t=9220 . I would advise those experiencing this issue to verify those shields are snug before contacting customer service on the issue.

Currently we have about 10 customers with pinging issues that are beta testing a new file for us as I type this, but only a few have actually reported back impressions of the file. We would like the expand the test pool so we can improve the feedback and determine if we have a robust solution to pinging; therefore, we are opening up the beta to more members here who want to participate.

What I need PM'd to me from those willing to test is the following info:

-Contact info (Full name, phone number, and email address)

-Tuner serial number

Please PM me this info for faster service!

Once the beta testing is complete, we’ll distribute the new calibration files to the broader Jeep audience. Our target date for global distribution is early November.

Scott

Last edited by Scott@Superchips; 09-16-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Scott
Please start a thread or use this one to give the feedback so that all can see.

I am part of the group but had no feedback or response to my emails for the last week.
How do I know if my inputs is taken in consideration?

Originally Posted by Scott@Superchips
We believe we have developed a field solution to the pinging issues some customers are experience in certain geographies. The reports are seem to be going down which might also be related to the various ‘summer blends’ of fuel available throughout the country (or throughout the globe for our friends in Australia and Brazil).

A small team of beta testers have been evaluating the new calibrations, but we’re also finding some of the issues are related to heat shield rattle, not pinging. We have had a customer report to us on our forums that the noise assumed as pinging was actually traced to a loose heat shield on the exhaust system https://www.superchips.com/forum/vie...hp?f=18&t=9220 . I would advise those experiencing this issue to verify those shields are snug before contacting customer service on the issue.

Currently we have about 10 customers with pinging issues that are beta testing a new file for us as I type this, but only a few have actually reported back impressions of the file. We would like the expand the test pool so we can improve the feedback and determine if we have a robust solution to pinging; therefore, we are opening up the beta to more members here who want to participate.

What I need PM'd to me from those willing to test is the following info:

-Contact info (Full name, phone number, and email address)

-Tuner serial number

Please PM me this info for faster service!

Once the beta testing is complete, we’ll distribute the new calibration files to the broader Jeep audience. Our target date for global distribution is early November.

Scott
Old 09-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Superchips Representative

Travis is logging your feedback and forwarding it on to the engineer so if a tweak is needed it can be addressed from there.

Let me know how you are relaying info to Travis and I will get with him to find out where the kink in the hose is.

Scott

Originally Posted by JK@ZA
Thanks Scott
Please start a thread or use this one to give the feedback so that all can see.

I am part of the group but had no feedback or response to my emails for the last week.
How do I know if my inputs is taken in consideration?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pm'd you Scott with the feedback I emailed Robert earlier this week.

Thanks.
-Dave

Quick Reply: JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes