Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes

Old 09-03-2010, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How loud is pinging usually? I'm familiar with loud engine knocking, but what does pinging sound like and how loud is it? Also, whats going on when an engine pings?
Old 09-03-2010, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like a bean rattling in a coffee can, no rhythm really, kind of an erratic shaking bean noise.

And yes... my patience is wearing thin. Because this is a problem on many vehicles and there has been no solid remedy. Leaving me feeling I'm on the edge of damage, causing me either to waste money on higher grade fuels or not run the program at all. The entire time I have owned it, I have not been able to fully enjoy my investment out of fear of damage to my brand new vehicle. So yes... my patience is wearing thin, especially now that my vehicle is also showing signs of severe pinging. It sounds worse than when my 300zx twin turbo would overboost to 20psi on factory injectors, 5 pounds over what was considered safe.

Last edited by dogshmog; 09-03-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dronac
How loud is pinging usually? I'm familiar with loud engine knocking, but what does pinging sound like and how loud is it? Also, whats going on when an engine pings?
I would describe it as sounding similar to that of a diesel engine which always has some pinging and more unstable combustion than a gas engine.

I currently don't have any pinging, but am well aware of it as I had it with my previous programmer and that company put the onus on me to figure it out. My solution was to use colder plugs and a higher octane than the tune I had installed. If memory serves, I was using a regular octane tune with 94 octane fuel and colder plugs from Bosch. It got rid of the pinging, but no noticeable gains from stock.

Again, I don't have any pinging now but I do have a great deal of sympathy for those that do. It's not any fun and waiting for a solution is frustrating. As my rig had bolt on parts that were outside what would be considered typical I was sent down a path to solve my issues on my own. With Superchips, and again not having the pinging issues anything that I have had a problem with I have always been afforded a timely solution or at least the knowledge that it was something they were working to correct. With Flashpaq's on two different vehicles and following threads on them regularly, there is definitely a lot of things their Chrysler team is working on, primarily new feature sets, and tackling the end user issues as they arise, some of course taking longer than others.

I previously saw mentioned that Superchips had 5 active pinging cases open. I'm sure there are a few more out there although it leads me to believe this is a small minority that would make the issue more difficult to track down given all the various vehicle specific profiles and Chrysler presenting a moving target with PCM upgrades. I'm sure it will get resolved, although looking at the field of Superchips users and the minority having the issue it's going to be a pretty big task to unearth the source.

Lastly, and what people who have done a fair amount of work on carbureted engines know, is a vehicle will produce the most power when it is right on the verge of pinging. That draws a fine line between finding a solution for a few and making changes that negatively effect the power gains of many. So a wholesale change to address the issue isn't in order and there are also outlying factors such as end user fuel used, humidity, temperature and the like. Again, lots of sympathy for those experiencing the issue, but the solution isn't as simple as backing off the timing 3 degrees for everyone to present a solution.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JPop
I currently don't have any pinging, but am well aware of it as I had it with my previous programmer and that company put the onus on me to figure it out. My solution was to use colder plugs and a higher octane than the tune I had installed. If memory serves, I was using a regular octane tune with 94 octane fuel and colder plugs from Bosch. It got rid of the pinging, but no noticeable gains from stock.
Are you still running the colder plugs with the Superchips tuner? Or did you switch back?

My 2010 has consistently pinged even with the stock programming when under load at > ~4300 RPM. Since it is a metallic, rattly sound I thought for a long time it was simply a loose heat shield, etc. Although annoying, I never worried about it too much since I almost never drive my Jeep like that... just occasionally when merging into traffic, etc.

I now recognize this sound as pinging. Since I received my Superchips tuner a few weeks ago, I've observed the amount and severity of pinging change as I switch programs and fill up with 93 octane. In my case, the pinging is always at high RPM while accelerating. The 93 tune is worst, 91 a little better, and Tow is actually as good or better than stock for me (ping-wise). For the record, I have an automatic transmission.

Also, my pinging seems to go away almost entirely for a while whenever I pull the battery cable and step on the brake for a few seconds to reset the ECU. Supposedly, reloading a tune should have the same reset effect - but this hasn't been my experience at all.

I've been monitoring these threads pretty closely, but have kind of stayed quiet since my JK pings even with the stock programming... which is why I was wondering about the spark plugs. I certainly don't want to give Superchips a free pass (their most current tunes do seem worse than the previous release), but I wonder if those of us with pinging issues are closer to - or, in my case over - the ragged edge (of pinging) because of some other, external issue.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by xact
Are you still running the colder plugs with the Superchips tuner? Or did you switch back?
I now have the specified heat range plugs in my JK.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

My latest observations:

There was a tuner update yesterday. Transmission programming seems to have improved although the pump pressure at anything but WOT seems low still.

I haven't had any pinging over about 50 mi since update but ambient was cold, see how it does today in mid 80s.

I'm now running pump 91 Plus 1 bottle of lucas booster Aprox 93 AKI together. and on the 91 tune seems to be OK so far.

I only had pinging at WOT between 4000 and shift. I'm really not used to pinging as I'm at 7200ft above sea level. That drastically lowers compression.

Last but not least has ne1 noticed that their programmer is now uploading data to the server upon update. while this is a great idea so SC can see whats going on on with the tune, seems a little big brotherish to me since I'm not part of a trouble ticket, and haven't called in or given them my serial number.

G
Old 09-05-2010, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LuckyPunk
My latest observations:

There was a tuner update yesterday. Transmission programming seems to have improved although the pump pressure at anything but WOT seems low still.

I haven't had any pinging over about 50 mi since update but ambient was cold, see how it does today in mid 80s.

I'm now running pump 91 Plus 1 bottle of lucas booster Aprox 93 AKI together. and on the 91 tune seems to be OK so far.

I only had pinging at WOT between 4000 and shift. I'm really not used to pinging as I'm at 7200ft above sea level. That drastically lowers compression.

Last but not least has ne1 noticed that their programmer is now uploading data to the server upon update. while this is a great idea so SC can see whats going on on with the tune, seems a little big brotherish to me since I'm not part of a trouble ticket, and haven't called in or given them my serial number.

G
Nice I updated today again. Is the JK part of the Gas truck Database?
Will see tomorrow if there is any improvement.

Mine is been uploading since beginning, about 6 weeks.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK@ZA
Nice I updated today again. Is the JK part of the Gas truck Database?
Will see tomorrow if there is any improvement.
Yes, the JK is part of the truck database.

After updating your new tune and testing, try to do some extra key cycles with some driving in between. The PCM relearn process can take as many as 40 on/off key cycles.

Generally I will start off by doing a couple freeway on ramp blasts, accelerating harder than normal. Get off at the next exit, turn the key off and repeat. As I've mentioned before, when I had issues with my previous programmer this is a process I came to know all too well and inside of a day or two I would have a pretty good picture of how my changes were going to respond. Again, this isn't something I have had to deal with using the Superchips product.

Also, make sure you aren't bouncing settings around. Pick a tune and run it for a week or a tankful of fuel, whichever comes first. That's going to address if the PCM relearn process is going to correct your fuel trim to a point where the ping goes away.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JPop
Yes, the JK is part of the truck database.

After updating your new tune and testing, try to do some extra key cycles with some driving in between. The PCM relearn process can take as many as 40 on/off key cycles.

Generally I will start off by doing a couple freeway on ramp blasts, accelerating harder than normal. Get off at the next exit, turn the key off and repeat. As I've mentioned before, when I had issues with my previous programmer this is a process I came to know all too well and inside of a day or two I would have a pretty good picture of how my changes were going to respond. Again, this isn't something I have had to deal with using the Superchips product.

Also, make sure you aren't bouncing settings around. Pick a tune and run it for a week or a tankful of fuel, whichever comes first. That's going to address if the PCM relearn process is going to correct your fuel trim to a point where the ping goes away.
Thanks I will do
I am sticking to 87 tune now. Had good results but it still pinged under heavy load.
So it is not 50 miles but more like 40 key cycles? Is programming like pulling the battery and pressing brake? I see conflicting posts on this.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=Scott@Superchips;1718453]I have been hearing word from others that there might be some members here having pinging issues while Superchips tuned.

I wanted to be proactive with this so I am starting this thread to provide direction to those in need of assistance.

If anyone on the forum is currently experiencing pinging in their JK's while Superchips tuned we would like to hear about it. Please give customer service a call at 888-227-2447 to log a tech support trouble ticket so engineering can do some tracking on this.

Feel free to keep open communications with me as well. I am here to help!

Thanks for your continued support!

I am currently running the 87 Octane program in my 2010 Wrangler Sport with no pinging issues. My area has 87,89 and 93 Octane gas. Thought about switching to the 93 program but since I am not having an issues at 87 I am hesitant to do so. I am sure there is more horsepower at 93 but the gas costs 30 cents per gallon more and I am not sure I would make up the difference in better MPG. So for now I am sticking to the 87 program at least until Superchips get a handle on these pinging issues. Please keep us updated what you think might be causing the pinging and how it can be corrected.

Quick Reply: JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes