Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes

Old 08-31-2010, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure that my company would be more than willing to sell Superchips some test equipment to properly measure knock frequency and knock integral along with measuring where MFB 50% takes place during a combustion cycle.

The fact that it is happening and they say give the programmer a shot at fixing it supports my statements in other posts that these systems really do not properly protect an engine and in fact can do damage.

The fact that you need a premium fuel to run in an engine designed to run on 87 octane like the 3.8L really tells me that if we were to take a look at the PV diagram of a combustion cycle that these modified maps would not be optimized. I just hope that the peak pressures are not doing and serious damage to the pistons.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I just hope that the peak pressures are not doing and serious damage to the pistons. "

Exactly why i got rid of mine. I think the great things that people say about the Superchips are due to the combination of gear, throttle and tire size tweaks ...oh and the fact they just spend $300-500 and it HAS to be good.

Buyer beware.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, I've just been watching this thread, but now I gotta say something...
I've been holding off calling in knowing that Superchips is already aware of the problem and working on it.

But i connected my programmer, and it updated my database. So either this "test" database passed QC and the update has been released to the public, or I just became a guinea pig...

After the update no pinging pulling out of my driveway... So far so good

but then I head out on the hwy on the way to the gym (18mi round trip), and begin to notice the transmission is acting strange, the pump pressure is way down like I had selected the "Buick Ultraglide" option in the menu... (but I selected "superchips" for all options) Also its down shifting when it should be up-shifting... like as your slowly pressing into the accelerator...

I had to turn off O/D to keep it from bogging on the return trip...

So either their priming me to buy the auto/advanced option... (which I don't mind buying anyway if it'll bring back the good tranny settings) or something went wrong.

Now I'm just ranting, but why don't you guys add version control to the web update app... two updates ago everything was fine... no pinging, kick a$$ a/t settings, it would be great if I could just re-up that ROM to my car which could be saved on my computer with encryption or just re-downloaded or something.

the semi-good news I think the pinging is gone, I've got my battery disconnected for the night, hopefully that will fix the trans issues... well see about the ping problem as I am running 2gal racing 109aki + 10gal 91aki which I figure is about 94aki and am only running the 91 perf programming

I hope they sort this out. when I first got the programmer I thought it was the best investment I had made for my jeep, still thought that until the august update. But considering what Ive seen this thing do, I know they'll get it fixed, and can't wait till we get data ack working on the pc!
G
Old 09-01-2010, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

I have never had any pinging but I have not updated the tuner for 6 months or so.

I returned my jeep to stock and went in for a soft top service and they flashed the computer.

When I tried to reinstall the superchip the tuner said calibration not found. I plugged the tuner into the computer and updated and still no calibration

This all happened about 2-3 weeks ago.

I've since downloaded 2 tuner updates and still no vehicle calibration support

How long does it usually take to get the new calibration?

tuner serial number 1461277

Thanks
Old 09-01-2010, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Just updated my 2010 JK Mountain, auto trans. I never experienced pinging in my 2 months of having the tuner installed at 87 octane (running 89 oct) except for one time at about 85% throttle at high rpm up a hill. I just updated the tuner last night, and installed the program about 10 minutes ago. I live in DFW, TX, it was about 95 degrees today. I tuned it, and drove about 5 miles. It's hard to judge by seat of the pants, but I think they took the timing back a bit, as it seems a few HP down than before. I am totally OK with that if it's in the name of more reliability and lower peak cylinder pressures. Also, I am still not hearing any ping, it even seems to run a bit smoother now than it did just the other day on the other tune. However, I also noticed the shifting line pressure is way down. It almost feels like stock, or as another poster stated "buick park ave" lol. What's the deal with that? Half of the point of owning the superchips was for the trans tuning, I even bought the "trans package" which seems virtually useless. My patience is wearing thin for this hit or miss, it's there... then it isn't, type of tuning. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but this is getting old... It's not like the JK just came out.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:36 PM
JK Super Freak

The amount of interactions between maps in ECU's are significant.

Now there are complaints of shifting problems and low pump pressure after adding there "tune". The only tune I hear is "I want in your pockets and give me your money, if your Jeep fails sorry not my fault".

Anyone wonder why AEV does not mess with any maps. Considering some of them are former Chrysler Engineers maybe they know something these other guys don't.

Like the other poster said buyer beware.

Last edited by goldtr8; 09-01-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 08_yellow_unlimited
I have never had any pinging but I have not updated the tuner for 6 months or so.

I returned my jeep to stock and went in for a soft top service and they flashed the computer.

When I tried to reinstall the superchip the tuner said calibration not found. I plugged the tuner into the computer and updated and still no calibration

This all happened about 2-3 weeks ago.

I've since downloaded 2 tuner updates and still no vehicle calibration support

How long does it usually take to get the new calibration?

tuner serial number 1461277

Thanks
You need to let Superchips know there is no calibration support and open a ticket with them. That way they can look at your specific vehicle profile and see what Chrysler changed when they flashed your vehicle.

Once that's done, the process shouldn't take long.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

I have tested the NEW Tow tune and it is worse than it was previously.
This was suppose to solve the problem
It Pings almost constantly on uphill and I used it already for 70 miles.

I am on the 87 tune now but previously it was worse than the Tow tune.
Did 10 miles and it is pinging

At what temperature are you guys? Today was 87°F.

Last edited by JK@ZA; 09-02-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

Okay... my patience is wearing really thin. Kind of a cool day today...87 degrees. While on the highway, I pushed the gas to about 80% and noticed tons of pinging. This is the first time I have noticed it to this extent since I've installed the superchips. And this is AFTER the update I just did a few days ago. This is all on the 87 tune running 89 octane. RIDICULOUS! Hey superchips... why don't you just offer a stock engine tune, but allow me to run the superchips throttle and transmission settings. I don't want your poor tuning possibly ruining my engine anymore. This problem has been going on for close to a year as far as I can tell. I want a map with factory fuel and timing maps, with superchips trans and throttle settings. What can you offer me? Hopefully its something more than this vaporware we've been dealing with. I have since returned to stock, and my 300+ dollar investment is now merely a waste of money.

Last edited by dogshmog; 09-03-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dogshmog
Okay... my patience is wearing really thin. Kind of a cool day today...87 degrees. While on the highway, I pushed the gas to about 80% and noticed tons of pinging. This is the first time I have noticed it to this extent since I've installed the superchips. And this is AFTER the update I just did a few days ago. This is all on the 87 tune running 89 octane. RIDICULOUS! Hey superchips... why don't you just offer a stock engine tune, but allow me to run the superchips throttle and transmission settings. I don't want your poor tuning possibly ruining my engine anymore. This problem has been going on for close to a year as far as I can tell. I want a map with factory fuel and timing maps, with superchips trans and throttle settings. What can you offer me? Hopefully its something more than this vaporware we've been dealing with. I have since returned to stock, and my 300+ dollar investment is now merely a waste of money.
Why don't you pm Scott with Superchips? I have found him to be incredibly helpful. A lot of vendors don't make any effort at all to help once the sale is made but my experience with them so far is they are making a concerted effort to get it resolved.

According to your posts, you just started having pinging on 9/1 and prior were having no issues at all but your patience is wearing thin after 2 days? Also, the problem on the 2010's has not been going on for a year as they didn't offer a tune until a couple months ago.

You spent money and you want it to work as advertised, I get that, but open a ticket and give them a chance to help you if you haven't already done so.

Quick Reply: JK owners experiencing pinging with their Superchips tunes