Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK overheating

Old 10-16-2020, 12:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK overheating

All right, I have a 2013 JK Unlimited lifted 3.5 with 35’s and its an automatic. I’ve been having an overheating issue when driving on the freeway only when under a load such as gunning it to pass a car or going up hill. Temp will rise to the mid point of between middle to high. Thermostat has been replaced, coolant flushed with no luck. Not eating thru coolant either. I did have a code pop up on my tranny for the torque converter and started feeling a sluggish feeling. Will the torque converter cause this? I wouldn’t think so. Next step is to replace water pump as I’m up to 118k miles.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:31 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,687 Posts

You don't have a programmer/tuner that reads the actual coolant temp? Something as simple as Jscan app with a OBDII dongle ($35 total) is really handy to have. That needle is just not a great representation of actual temp. You're 100% certain you have that cooling system bled really well? Sometimes that's kind of a pain on our JKs. Have you regeared? Just curious what kind of RPMs your running. Getting into the fall I'd think temps out in AZ aren't 95*+ anymore right? Here in DFW things have gotten much more mild with summer temps falling off. Seems odd to be having the issue now vs. dead of summer, so I'm thinking this isn't just a flat out ambient temp issue like I was seeing in 100*+ here. I recently replaced my radiator and swapped the WP out while I had everything apart. It's a bit of a pain to get to on this 3.6L as the alternator and pullies have to come off. If you do change your WP, I'd be really curious to hear if yours looked anything like mine inside the gasket. Take a look at my pictures in this link -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...nstall-354457/

I'm by no means saying that was causing an issue for me, or that you have a WP issue, I just don't have much explanation for the pitting in my gasket.

You're not noticing coolant level in your resi dropping at all right? When you open that rad cap in the morning it's topped off as it should be?
Old 10-16-2020, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 400 Likes on 375 Posts

Do you have CEL light ON. Check for Codes.. A torque converter / Trans issue could contribute.. Is this occurring when the AC or Defrost is on; these ON should have the fans ON. Could be a sending unit malfunction and FYI when I had the thermostat replaced it took 5 burp sessions of the system over 4 days to get all the air out.. a quick check of the bottom rad hose -- squeeze and if you have air pockets you will know -- it will not be firm.. the top hose will probably be collapsed when COLD.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My issue

2013 jk 3.6
33s steel wheel
Steel fender
Stinger bumper
Roofnest

So I have weight
my jeep has been overheating in a similar way. I have replaced 2 thermostats, radiator, water pump ,blown oil cooler and several flushes. I still overheat on small hill climbs when I go into 3rd or lower for the climb. Getting on the hwy in the summer can even be a huge issue cooking. Im getting hood vents soon. While in moab I popped the hood before arches Park climb on the payment. Placed a 4x4 block of wood to keep it open and I never cooked once climbing in 3rd. It can't be that stupid simple and I hope thats all i need is air.. Im also digging on the net and although It dont add up. Transmission and torque converter issues. Im considering a tran cooler upgrade. Im learning as I go but I know the trany temp shouldn't reflect on the engine temp. But at this point its a ghost and its only when im climbing. Parked I never heat heat up while running the jeep. Slow crawling going easy I never heat up. Its once im rolling and trying to keep speed it begins to cook.

I run into others and the all claim vent vent vent
Old 08-05-2022, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 474 Likes on 425 Posts

One big improvement that I did was throw that hood to grille rubber seal away. Really made a difference with underhood temps using an IR heat gun to measure with.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
One big improvement that I did was throw that hood to grille rubber seal away. Really made a difference with underhood temps using an IR heat gun to measure with.
You're talking about that seal that just sits on top of the grill and is visible when the hood is down? Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen someone comment about that one before.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Do you by chance have a winch mounted to your front bumper? Some of the bulkier winches have been known to affect the cooling, although I have never heard of one overheating because of this..
Old 08-05-2022, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 474 Likes on 425 Posts

Yeah Russ that's the one. Made quite an improvement. Downside is one has to watch what they are doing in deep mud or water.

Quick Reply: JK overheating