Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK LED MILITARY TAIL LIGHT CONVERSION ISEE Systems

Old 05-14-2014, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjl509@yahoo.com
Ehh ok... I don't care too much for the side marker on the side looks like it's from a bicycle lol

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
I do not understand how you think that they look like bicycle lights.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ShadowBlade72
I believe they take actual MILSPEC lights and retrofit them into a custom mold for the Wrangler. If you know anything about prices for actual military gear, it's astronomical. I seem to remember looking up how much it would be to DIY it, and the lights alone were somewhere around $350 and wired for a 24v system.

Granted there is a decent mark-up, but it's not as insane as it seems when you look into it.
That is exactly what is done for these tail lights. They are very rugged, top quality, , very bright and made in the USA and hold a 5 year warranty.

I have a pair and really love them.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:50 PM
JK Super Freak

It looks cool but I have two remarks.

1) The white light is very dim. It seems they have plenty space under the red markings to put a more decent white LED light that could be useful when going backwards.

2) Price. Seems too high, mostly when thinking about item 1.

Otherwise, they would be in my wish list.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cormac827
Why do you think these are military gear? I couldn't imagine seeing those on a military vehicle. Why do they need the red plastic over everything if the lights shine red? Reflector laws?

Not trying to hate on them too much- I think they look kinda cool but I would prefer something blacked out I think! And less plasticky if possible , but I know that's tough
Sorry for the late reply.

I didn't feel like walking outside to take a picture, so I'll just use one off Google. This is a military HMMWV.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1738.JPG
Views:	1252
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	552948

This example is of the old configuration that uses incandescent lights instead of LED's. Our newer rigs have switched over to truck lite headlights. I didn't pay much attention to who makes the tails.

As to why the red covers, chances are the LED's inside the tails shine white. Red LED's typically put out fewer lumens at higher cost. So it's be more cost effective and power efficient to use a white LED and put a red cover over it. Plus, as you said, state laws may require it. It's just easier to do it this way.

The area under the tail light is usually filled with IR (infrared) LED's. That way you can run fully blacked out, but still be able to see the guy in front of you with your NVG's (Night Vision Goggles).

Click image for larger version

Name:	the_more_you_know-195x128.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	552949
Old 05-15-2014, 01:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Not sure I see the value? If you're replacing tail lights, seems like something flush to the body is ideal. I know I'm sick of having my tail lights ripped off on the trail...
Why should you give more concerned about tail lights over getting a headlight punched out by a tree limb or even having the oil pan creased? How are these different from stock and other replacement LED tail lights that countless other Jeeps drive on and off the trail everyday?

If you want to get some "flush" tail lights (or anything else) because it might get ripped off on the trail, then don't.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
It looks cool but I have two remarks.

1) The white light is very dim. It seems they have plenty space under the red markings to put a more decent white LED light that could be useful when going backwards.

2) Price. Seems too high, mostly when thinking about item 1.

Otherwise, they would be in my wish list.
I find the reverse lights very bright indeed, the best I have seen on any LED Wrangler tail lights. I do agree that they are too pricey.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ShadowBlade72
I believe they take actual MILSPEC lights and retrofit them into a custom mold for the Wrangler. If you know anything about prices for actual military gear, it's astronomical. I seem to remember looking up how much it would be to DIY it, and the lights alone were somewhere around $350 and wired for a 24v system.

Granted there is a decent mark-up, but it's not as insane as it seems when you look into it.
They are MILSPEC and work on 24v or 12v, very, very bright. I like the fact too that they are made in the USA and have a great warranty.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Not sure I see the value? If you're replacing tail lights, seems like something flush to the body is ideal. I know I'm sick of having my tail lights ripped off on the trail...
I agree. Also, in the Humvee taillight photo, their's are recessed also. No one truly needs BRIGHT taillights, so if ya gonna upgrade from the stock plastic brake lights, then recessing them makes 100% sense. The manufacturer of these new 'military' lights should do so.

Here's mine
Old 05-15-2014, 03:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I just don't get why so many of these LED lights need to cost so damn much? LEDs of this type really aren't pricy so maybe the R&D?

Don't know but it seems like a solid LED tail option around $100 should be very doable and would sell like hotcakes at a lumberjack convention.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by arjeeper
I guess I just don't get why so many of these LED lights need to cost so damn much? LEDs of this type really aren't pricy so maybe the R&D? Don't know but it seems like a solid LED tail option around $100 should be very doable and would sell like hotcakes at a lumberjack convention.
It's because it's for a Jeep bro! You don't think these people who make stuff for one of the most popular vehicles in the world don't know what they doing? They know people wanna beef up their Jeeps so they raise prices triple then what it cost to make....same as the vehicle manufacturer! They rob us and they make a killing doing it! We either pay the price or don't mod your ride! Simple robbery bro! And it's legal.....cheers!

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: JK LED MILITARY TAIL LIGHT CONVERSION ISEE Systems