Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK --> JL Compatibility

Old 04-07-2020, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default JK --> JL Compatibility

Looking to sell my JK and get into a JL. Both Rubicon Unlimited. I was wondering how much compatibility the two vehicles have in terms of suspension. I was wanting to swap over my lift essentially (springs, shocks, drop brackets for the lower control arms etc.). Also would like to swap front and back bumpers if the mounts are the same.

Possible or no?
Old 04-08-2020, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'll leave the nitty gritty details to someone else but my understanding is that the JL has softer spring rates. The font shocks mount differently. On the bumpers- I've seen a JK to JL adapter piece for sale online but I don't know what it looks like on the vehicle. As far as arms- I found a post and started down the rabbit hole of moving arms. I *think* the conclusion I drew from the post was that the JL arms were longer so you'd have to dial them back from your JK settings. I was looking to get a set of take-off arms to achieve axle relocation, but that's as far as it ever went for me. Also, my arms are beaten up quite a bit.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I'll leave the nitty gritty details to someone else but my understanding is that the JL has softer spring rates. The font shocks mount differently. On the bumpers- I've seen a JK to JL adapter piece for sale online but I don't know what it looks like on the vehicle. As far as arms- I found a post and started down the rabbit hole of moving arms. I *think* the conclusion I drew from the post was that the JL arms were longer so you'd have to dial them back from your JK settings. I was looking to get a set of take-off arms to achieve axle relocation, but that's as far as it ever went for me. Also, my arms are beaten up quite a bit.
Thanks. That's kind of what I thought. I'll just start over with a new build. My JK is pretty well put together and I'll get a little more for it if I just leave it intact I suppose.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by WaterRat72
I'll just start over with a new build. My JK is pretty well put together and I'll get a little more for it if I just leave it intact I suppose.
Y, no sense trying to pound a square peg in a round hole, starting your new adventure with a cluster of components that really weren't intended for that vehicle. Do it right and be happy for years with your new ride.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

about the only things that actually will transfer is tires and wheels (some not all). Some bumpers will work on either but not all.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Went to a dealer today and took a look at a completely built JL and a stock Rubicon JL. The built rig was nice but way overpriced. The stock rig was nice but they didn't have the options in a Rubi that I wanted (diesel and sky one touch power top) Ok I would have done without the overpriced badass sky top thing but I really want diesel and it's a no-go as they don't have any Rubi's with it. Only Sport's and Willy's. That would really set me back because I would not only be adding suspension but axles, lockers etc.

I walked out of that dealership, took a look at what I brought to trade in and said Hell yeah! I'm taking that home! There will come a time that I get into a JL... but not today!

Old 04-09-2020, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good call. I’m retired but I do dealer trades for my local JCDR dealership. My daily is a ‘15 JKR. I get to drive some nice JL’s and I freely admit to being tempted every time I do. They are certainly more refined. But at the end of every day I get back into my JK and drive home. I realize then that the JL is a LITTLE nicer than my JK, but not enough to blow my bank account on.
The following 2 users liked this post by any4xx:
Aloicious (05-22-2020), WaterRat72 (04-09-2020)

Quick Reply: JK --> JL Compatibility