Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Heavy Duty Crossmember

Old 12-17-2015, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JK Heavy Duty Crossmember

So I've come to the point were I need to replace the cheesy stock tranny crossmember on my 13' JKU.
Im looking at Artec or Poison Spyder for replacement options would appreciate any feed back from people
That have ether . Thanks
Old 12-17-2015, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got rid of it completely and went with a Rock Hard skid plate.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I've the PSC its well built but I'm sure the Artec one is built equally well.

If you got rid of your cross member how is the rock hard skid mounted? I have the same skid and required me to bolt to the cross member, I also would be worried about the frame tweaking if you don't have a cross member in place.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was under the impression the op was talking about the really light duty piece that took the place of the skid plate in front of the actual cross member. I have a 14, I thought on the older JKs there was originally a skid plate but they redesigned it because of fire starting from dried leaves and other debris accumulating.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
So I've come to the point were I need to replace the cheesy stock tranny crossmember on my 13' JKU.
Im looking at Artec or Poison Spyder for replacement options would appreciate any feed back from people
That have ether . Thanks
If you're talking about the little one that is forward of the exhaust cross over, get an engine/transmission skid plate and remove the cross member completely.

If, on the other hand, you are referring to the bigger one that supports the transmission itself, then that's a different story. I've heard good things about both the PS and Artec, although I have no experience with either.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

There is only one part on the Jeeps called a crossmember.... lets stop the misinformation. To the original poster, both are solid and you won't notice a difference... go with what brand you want to support.

crossmember FYI
Old 12-17-2015, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

Yes I'm talking about the actual cross brace that the tranny bolts to. I have the Rockhard engine/ tranny skid also.
The thing is that I've found that over time from wheelin the stock cross member is actually compressing then I have to re tighten
The bolts that go into tranny mount and skid plate. The stock cross member is made of only 16 or 14 gauge sheet metal.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by spicoli
There is only one part on the Jeeps called a crossmember.... lets stop the misinformation. To the original poster, both are solid and you won't notice a difference... go with what brand you want to support. crossmember FYI
this is the one I'm really looking at but it says it uses 3/8 course thread captive nuts instead of the stock M12 fasteners. Thinking that must be where it bolts to frame brackets on either side ?
Old 12-17-2015, 04:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have the PS and it is easy to install and much beefier than stock. It mounts perfectly. an exact precise fit 100% simple install.

I went thru NR4x4 got a great deal and fast shipping. they had it dropped shipped from PS and was here in a couple of days.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jadmt
I have the PS and it is easy to install and much beefier than stock. It mounts perfectly. an exact precise fit 100% simple install. I went thru NR4x4 got a great deal and fast shipping. they had it dropped shipped from PS and was here in a couple of days.
good deal , so it uses the stock fasteners
Were it bolts to frame brackets then.

Quick Reply: JK Heavy Duty Crossmember