Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK front Differential

Old 08-30-2019, 09:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortbuss
Very strange. I work at a 4x4 shop and I always quote customers and give them the details they need,
I think when a mechanic's advice is "the diff is shot and you need to find a new axle", that person isn't qualified to give a quote. They obviously aren't familiar with regearing or rebuilding internals. My sense has been the "mechanic" is a general auto person that isn't familiar with our stuff.
The following users liked this post:
dblaze2049 (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 05:28 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts
Lightbulb

dblaze -- Crawl under the front and try turning the front drive shaft by hand while in normal 2HI on the xfer case. If it turns there's probably a broken axle. Besides something visual like an oil leak, that's the only test I can think of that the mech could do quickly on the shop floor without taking the cover off

Old 08-31-2019, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my ride home after buying my JK I had the misfortune of clicking noises from the front of my jeep. Took it to my dealer i work with and found that one of the universal caps came off the right front outside U Joint. made the joint oblong so i needed a complete axle changed. The dealer i bought it from paid the dealer in full to have it fixed. Seems they replaced the U joints and i surmise that the retaining clip for the cap was not seated properly.
End result was a complete new axle installed for around $700.
While there they also did some Jeep recall work. The front brake hoses showed some softness around the end metal joints and Jeep has a recall on it. So all this work was also done for me.
So yes, have another mechanic look at it before you shell out any money. If you bite the bullet, take it to your local Jeep dealer. Maybe there are some recall work that also needs to be done for you.

Good luck sorting this out.

Matt
Old 09-11-2019, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update FINALLY!

Well Jeepers. Took to a different mechanic. They took the cover off the pumpkin. Roll Pin was out. Literally out and just laying there. Fixed that filled it back up and I’m on the road 145 dollars later vs 3k. Now it’s on to the rear spring issue and it will finally be ready for a whee and tire upgrade. Thanks for all your help!
Old 09-12-2019, 07:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by dblaze2049
Well Jeepers. Took to a different mechanic. They took the cover off the pumpkin. Roll Pin was out. Literally out and just laying there. Fixed that filled it back up and I’m on the road 145 dollars later vs 3k. Now it’s on to the rear spring issue and it will finally be ready for a wheel and tire upgrade. Thanks for all your help!
Don't ever go back to that original "mechanic" That is exactly what the original dufus should have done. It is so little effort for someone to remove the cover and put some eyes on what's going on. Glad it was a cheap and easy fix.
dblaze2049 (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never experienced it. but this is a very interesting discussion to follow
Old 09-12-2019, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Don't ever go back to that original "mechanic" That is exactly what the original dufus should have done. It is so little effort for someone to remove the cover and put some eyes on what's going on. Glad it was a cheap and easy fix.
But why do some actual mechanical investigation when you can just take that "junk" axle off and put a new one in its place? I mean, I could change the oil, but it's easier to just pull the engine out and install a new one instead.
dblaze2049 (09-12-2019)

Quick Reply: JK front Differential