Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK C/V Joint / Driveshaft angle - Lift

Old 12-31-2006, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation JK C/V Joint / Driveshaft angle - Lift

I was reading on another forum - i'll leave it left unsaid which..unless you want the specific article - anyways, they stated that one of the issues that is apparent once you've installed a lift is the driveshaft angle.

in their article they had installed a 4" lift and put it up on a lift to take a look underneath. they stated that it was apparent that the JK's fixed yoke shafts were "about" at their operational limits.

apparently, based on their observations, the style of C/V joint used is not made to take the abuse of more severe angles found on lifted Jeeps when used off-road. They also state that they didn't notice any binding or problems during their trail testing, but they did state that time will tell if they last.

they provided pictures, but without consent to use them...it wouldn't be prudent to post here.

they did make a specific statement towards the issue being inherent to the JK, not the specific lift that was used in this application and that every suspension manufacture would face this same issue.

so my question is...anyone notice this? comments? pictures?
Old 12-31-2006, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

The Rzeppa joints used in the JK work well within their design parameters. People aren't experiencing vibration with 4" lifts so far. Like the other post said, only time will tell if they hold up. Frankly, while they're quite strong, they probably won't stand up to the abuse of whacking them on rocks. There's another problem hardly anyone mentions. Our JK's beefy, large-diameter front driveshaft is too big to work when using a suspension that allows lots of articulation, as the it will hit on the crossmember when really hanging it out. The best thing to do is contact Tom Wood's Custom Driveshafts or J.E. Reel and have them build new driveshafts for the JK. Both companies have the JK figured out and do excellent work.

Last edited by Phil Howell; 01-10-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

this is the end of the conversation with lifts that no one has been talking about.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:23 AM
JK Freak

hey jsherman, new port richey hu? Im just down 19 from ya in St. Pete. Tryone Square, if ya know where thats at. You wheeled your JK out here yet? (sorry off topic)
Old 12-31-2006, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

yeah, NPR. I actually work down in Oldsmar.

as for the JK - nope, i don't get it until late february. but i will then
Old 12-31-2006, 10:52 AM
JK Freak

I think im going to be taking a nice little vacation to a beautiful little country then. You might have heard of it... Iraq?? Only a 2 month tour though, but my jk'll be itching to hit some muddy trails when I get back.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

totally off topic..

I did 4 years in the Army (92-96) - no tours for me. which service are you in? 2 month tour? I have several friends over there for the 2nd and 3rd time. now they are pushing 1-2 year tours.

i do appreciate every single soldier. thanks for your service.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

good on ya. Im in the Air Force. Im a flyboy so we only do 2 month rotations. (dont want us getting stressed out and crashing jets i guess) Not too bad, but i havent had to go over yet. Ive been on the beaches of Okinawa for the past 3 years. Tough job...
Old 12-31-2006, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

well, when you get back and I have my JK, we'll have to get together for a little trail riding!

safe travels til then..

Quick Reply: JK C/V Joint / Driveshaft angle - Lift