Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK bumper damage

Old 07-02-2024, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK bumper damage

Hi guys,
Any ideas how to repair this damage?
Truck floor coating product or something like that would help?

Thanks,

Old 07-02-2024, 09:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,634 Posts

https://www.fenderbender.com/running...lastic-bumpers

According to that article, these bumpers are made of TPO plastic, and that will be important info in determining what kind of fillers might adhere well. It looks like TPO is just a subclass of TPE.
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have read so far, the bumper covers on a JK are rotomolded from a thermo plastic. That being the case, if you can find the proper filler rods, a Hot Air plastic welder should work. In the distant past, I used them to repair fairings on motorcycles. It's a time consuming process, and sanding/filling/painting is required after, but that method has been successful for me. When the thieves want to charge $1,200 for a few little pieces of plastic, I tend to get my hands dirty instead of reaching into my pockets, just out of principle.

...on the other hand, I've seen aftermarket bumper covers for a JK brand new for like $100. It's like 8 bolts, 2 fog light plugs, a hand full of plastic connectors & maybe another 8 fog light screws to change out a bumper cover. By the time you get done with all the finish, blending & color match work that would be involved with a repair, you might be better off just putting on a new cover.

Quick Reply: JK bumper damage