Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Build Begins!!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine
Well, I have offically driven the JK out of the garage and it actually fit!!! I think there was about 1/2" between the highest point on the JK and the top of the garage.

There are a few things I need to do again, for starters my brakes are nearly non-existent so I will bleed those again in the morning.

I only drove around my block due to only have 2wd (don't have front shaft yet) and having next to no brakes on ice is not fun :lol:

Well, enough talk, here are the pictures!!

I must admit, the last picture is now my desktop background!

MAN it feels good to have it rolling under its own power again. I think there is something screwy with the ABS stuff as the light kept coming on and I didn't see the speedo move (although I didn't go very fast AT ALL). I think that may be because of the steering wheel not completely centered?
You're Jeep looks great (wife's pretty cute too), it's got to feel good having done it all yourself. The wheel width gives it a nice, aggressive stance. I may have missed it but what turned out to be the problem with the front spring / 2" height difference?

Last edited by JK-Blue; 01-01-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I said it once and I will say it again, your jeep came out awesome.
+1 on what happened with the front spring heighth difference.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:55 PM
JK Junkie

Hey Marine,

Congrats on the build and nice axles

Don't worry about the bumpers and all of that accessories as they are not as important as your drive line!

your suspension will lower but just by a bit.. and from my understanding it's because of compression.

it will lean to the passenger side. and if you have someone drive it and you follow, you will actually see it. so don't freak out all of them do it and it's fixable

Since your control arms are adjustable.. make sure to have them perfectly straight and not crocked. again my test was to have someone drive it and observer.

who is making your front shaft? Front Range?

if they are not built yet.. I would wait and double check your mesurments after going through the top list.

Jeep looks badd ass man.. and when you have your gears broken in, hit me up and lets go wheeling
Old 01-01-2010, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Lo2aY
Hey Marine,

Congrats on the build and nice axles

Don't worry about the bumpers and all of that accessories as they are not as important as your drive line!

your suspension will lower but just by a bit.. and from my understanding it's because of compression.

it will lean to the passenger side. and if you have someone drive it and you follow, you will actually see it. so don't freak out all of them do it and it's fixable

Since your control arms are adjustable.. make sure to have them perfectly straight and not crocked. again my test was to have someone drive it and observer.

who is making your front shaft? Front Range?

if they are not built yet.. I would wait and double check your mesurments after going through the top list.

Jeep looks badd ass man.. and when you have your gears broken in, hit me up and lets go wheeling

Front Range did my rear shaft and they are waiting on parts (and my jeep) to make measurements and build the front shaft. I am really in no hurry to get the front shaft at this point anyway as the alignment is next on the list of stuff to do.

Thank you for the compliments on the jeep, however I think yours is freaking awesome as well!!! Once I can save up money again stage II will start and a hemi will be going in!

I have decided that I want the 5.7 VVT motor as it has more torque down low than the 6.1 and produces almost as much HP (I think ~390 HP/402 torque).

Anyway, hemi is quite a while off for me as saving up the $11-12K will take quite some time...I think I will enjoy my jeep very much in the mean time.

I will post up when I am ready to hit up some trails. I have about 500-600 miles to get the gears broke in.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 09bbjk
I said it once and I will say it again, your jeep came out awesome.
+1 on what happened with the front spring heighth difference.
99% sure it is a misalignment issue and hope that is resolved once my alignment is complete.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:25 PM
JK Junkie

I am really in no hurry to get the front shaft at this point

I will post up when I am ready to hit up some trails. I have about 500-600 miles to get the gears broke in.
you need to break in both axles not just the rear
Old 01-01-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Lo2aY
you need to break in both axles not just the rear
locking hubs causes all the interals to spin without being in 4wd correct?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...yes... yeah!
Old 01-02-2010, 04:21 AM
JK Junkie

from my understanding.. the shafts drive the gears and not the opposite. meaning that they create the force. I guess if your locked it doesn't really matter

Last edited by Lo2aY; 01-02-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 PM
JK Newbie

Some new updated pictures...hope everyone enjoys!!

I am within an hour of being complete, although I have no idea how I am going to jack up the jeep high enough to get the tires mounted without the Jeep falling off the jack stands. I had a slight scare today as the weight shifted and I was literly sitting on one jack stand on one side with the jack on the other and the jeep was teetering back and forth (kind of scarry)...Anyway, here are some pictuers :-)

Sorry no pictures of moving the front axle...

All that I lack is getting a set of driveshafts (have to measure first), and get the front springs, brakes, and ABS stuff connected up and the axles are.......INSTALLED!

Do you have any pics of the backing plates? These are the f150 rear brakes right?

Quick Reply: JK Build Begins!!