Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Brawler Lite with Skid, Help!

Old 02-26-2012, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deere_Jeep
I trimmed up the frame mount area too. If you look at the vertical surface the top actually angles out toward the front. angle grinded the crap out of it. Maybe try this if it is rubbing on the innter top of the bumper.
i forgot but i had the same problem... well until i discovered the bolt issue. i got my bfh tool and beat the hell out of it. i finally got it laying pretty flat so i thought i did all the good.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

HOLY SMOKES, I finally got it! Thank you everyone for your help. Like I said before, I removed the bolts. Then, I trimmed plates on the frame and it went back a little further. Finally, I used a dremel to enlarge the holes on the frame as one of the studs was making contact. Needless to say, I turned a relatively easy job into an all day affair. Today's job - brawler rockers.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mustang1812
HOLY SMOKES, I finally got it! Thank you everyone for your help. Like I said before, I removed the bolts. Then, I trimmed plates on the frame and it went back a little further. Finally, I used a dremel to enlarge the holes on the frame as one of the studs was making contact. Needless to say, I turned a relatively easy job into an all day affair. Today's job - brawler rockers.
Glad to hear it! Mine took way too much time too.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I just ordered a brawler lite but w/ no skid plate. Is it the skid plate what's causing the problem? Just trying to prepare myself.

Last edited by Xman4602; 02-26-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xman4602
I just ordered a brawler lite but w/ no skid plate. Is it the skid plate what's causing the problem? Just trying to prepare myself.
It's the bolts that hold the skid plate to the bumper that were a problem for me. I just used my grinder to cut a small notch in the bottom of the mounting plate to allow clearance for those bolts.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by totdoc
It's the bolts that hold the skid plate to the bumper that were a problem for me. I just used my grinder to cut a small notch in the bottom of the mounting plate to allow clearance for those bolts.
I just left the bolts off, myself. Your solution is probably the better one, I should have thought to do that.

That said, previous poster, I verify you should have no problem without the skid. You may need to trim at the crash bar some, but that's about it. It's frustrating as all hell that so many people spent a few hours (as I did) beating their heads against a design flaw. Upside of the scenario, I know check for bolt interference first on any project I've done since.

Do have a rubber mallet available, the bumper takes a bit of convincing to be put into place.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ormandj

I just left the bolts off, myself. Your solution is probably the better one, I should have thought to do that.

That said, previous poster, I verify you should have no problem without the skid. You may need to trim at the crash bar some, but that's about it. It's frustrating as all hell that so many people spent a few hours (as I did) beating their heads against a design flaw. Upside of the scenario, I know check for bolt interference first on any project I've done since.

Do have a rubber mallet available, the bumper takes a bit of convincing to be put into place.
I'll make sure to have the B. F. H. handy for the install, thanks!!
Old 02-27-2012, 02:50 AM
JK Super Freak

On a side note I have another question? I found a place that quoted 50-70/ bumper for powder coating......... Does this sound way to low? Not that I'm complaining but I don't want them to come back looking like a smacked ass.
Anything I should be asking the powder coater about the process?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xman4602
On a side note I have another question? I found a place that quoted 50-70/ bumper for powder coating......... Does this sound way to low? Not that I'm complaining but I don't want them to come back looking like a smacked ass.
Anything I should be asking the powder coater about the process?
I'm not sure about the powder coating, but that sounds a little low to me. That was one of my considerations when I bought mine. Just FYI, I used a can of Rustoleum hammered finish spray and it turned out GREAT! It's easy to touch up if you get a chip or scratch and only costs $10 or so. I would definitely do it again. Let me know if you decide to go this way and I'll give more info.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

I had the bumper, skid, and a set of brawler rockers done for $500. I'm not an expert on powder coating but I do know there are
different qualities of powder. I just went with a recommendation on a business from a member of the forum. It came out beautiful.
Just make sure when you pick from the thousands of colors and shades of black that you choose an outdoor product. I almost chose an
indoor epoxy but that's what the experts are for. I would also recommend getting some texture in the powder. From what I hear, it
holds up better when comes to slamming theses things off of rocks.

Quick Reply: JK Brawler Lite with Skid, Help!