Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Brawler Lite with Skid, Help!

Old 02-25-2012, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Brawler Lite with Skid, Help!

Ok, so I installed the skid onto the bumper prior to mounting just like PSC says in the directions. I'm now trying to get the bumper
onto the 8 mounting bolts. I have already cut away the pieces of the crash bar like the directions say. Problem is the bolt heads that
hold together the skid to the bottom of the bumper are hitting the frame and not allowing the bumper to go all the way onto the
mounting bolts. I can clearly see where the bolts are lined up with the holes in the frame but the bolt heads are preventing me from
pushing the bumper any further in. Reversing the direction of the bolt wouldn't help because the locking nut is bigger than the bolt
head. What am I not comprehending? Thanks
Old 02-25-2012, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

look at the bolts / nuts that mount the bumper to the skid that are directly under the bumper mounting point. you may be having clearance issues there (what it sounds like from your description). thats what i ran into after beating my head against the wall for two hours. i had to completely take these bolts / nuts off for the whole shootin' match to mount up properly.

if you have the nuts on the bumper side of the setup maybe flip it around where the bolt head is on the bumper side and nut is down on the skid plate side, that may help also.

i think its what... 9 bolts all the way across the bumper / skid? now its just 7. big whoop.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

That's exactly what's happening. There's not enough clearance. I do have the bolt heads on the bumper side so I guess I have no
choice but to take them out?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Well, I removed the bolts in front of the frame. Still no luck. Bumper just will not push back far enough for bolts to go through the
holes.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mustang1812
Well, I removed the bolts in front of the frame. Still no luck. Bumper just will not push back far enough for bolts to go through the
holes.
Sounds like its time to bust out the B-F-H and a 2x4 for cushioning. Beat it!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mustang1812
Ok, so I installed the skid onto the bumper prior to mounting just like PSC says in the directions. I'm now trying to get the bumper
onto the 8 mounting bolts. I have already cut away the pieces of the crash bar like the directions say. Problem is the bolt heads that
hold together the skid to the bottom of the bumper are hitting the frame and not allowing the bumper to go all the way onto the
mounting bolts. I can clearly see where the bolts are lined up with the holes in the frame but the bolt heads are preventing me from
pushing the bumper any further in. Reversing the direction of the bolt wouldn't help because the locking nut is bigger than the bolt
head. What am I not comprehending? Thanks
I ran into this same problem last weekend. After crawling around in the driveway for two hours, I finally got the flashlight in the right spot and realized the problem. In the meantime, I had rounded out the mounting holes a bit with the dremel thinking that was the problem at first. You might try this now....

Anyway, the design of putting the attaching bolts right on the frame rails without any mention in the directions seems like a fairly big design flaw.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

I agree. Only now with bolts removed it goes back a little further but not far enough. I guess it is time to start beating it.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call PSC first thing Monday. Their techs helped me a ton. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue. I was cussin like a sailor. Removed the bolts and straight on it went. I trimmed up the frame mount area too. If you look at the vertical surface the top actually angles out toward the front. angle grinded the crap out of it. Maybe try this if it is rubbing on the innter top of the bumper.

Make sure you put your fogs in the correct way too. I did not know there was a wrong way but there is and it shines the light up.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:43 AM
JK Freak

no joy after removing the bolts!?

can you get the bolts for the studs going onto the frame mount started? maybe try getting a couple going on each side the slowly tighten them down... maybe it will pop in place?

i had used a step bit on the frame holes in mine originally thinking that was the problem. as someone mentioned maybe trying taking a little off those holes?

ive called psc a couple of times and they have been great to deal with one the phone. very friendly and very helpful.

Quick Reply: JK Brawler Lite with Skid, Help!